Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Studio feedback (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-studio-feedback-t223444.html)

cjtinkle 06-11-2013 08:43 AM

New Studio feedback

1 Attachment(s)
If the price comes in right, I'll be able to have my quilt studio built soon. I've drawn out a plan to the best of my abilities, and would love some feedback, as I'm sure many of you have either built your own studio or dreamed of it, and will have suggestions I won't have thought of.

I thought to put floor to ceiling shelves in the closet, about 2 feet deep, leaving me 2 feet in front of them to move around as there wouldn't be doors in front of the entire section. I thought I'd store my batting rolls on the far right side, where access is limited due to the computer workstation in that corner.

In the very lower left corner, is an amoire, and right next to it (above in the photo) is an 8' x 8' design wall. The ironing station could perhaps be a movable piece placed on the work island. I think the rest of it is self explanatory. Oh and the 2 white boxes at the bottom between the windows are to be built in book cases.

I'll put plenty of bright lighting, stationed above all the work areas, and a couple of ceiling fans. I'd like upper cabinets over the computer and sewing stations, if the budget allows.

Feedback? Any and all suggestions welcomed and appreciated!

DonnaR 06-11-2013 08:47 AM

Wow Great Layout. I think you have thought through everything very well. Congrats on your studio.

grammyp 06-11-2013 08:57 AM

Nice layout. Perhaps some pegboard over the workstation for small items?

cjtinkle 06-11-2013 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by grammyp (Post 6116386)
Nice layout. Perhaps some pegboard over the workstation for small items?

Pegboard would be perfect, I have a large sheet of it in my existing sewing room, thanks!

Rosie the "Ripper" 06-11-2013 09:08 AM

You might post this in "Mission, Organization" section and get more feedback. This is where others congregate for ideas on quilt studios. Yours looks great, by the way. Congratulations and Happy Sewing!

cjtinkle 06-11-2013 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Rosie the "Ripper" (Post 6116417)
You might post this in "Mission, Organization" section and get more feedback. This is where others congregate for ideas on quilt studios. Yours looks great, by the way. Congratulations and Happy Sewing!

Oh! Maybe the mods could move it for me please?

leaha 06-11-2013 10:24 AM

what about a big board ironing board? a big design wall really helps too.

dakotamaid 06-11-2013 11:23 AM

Oh, I'm so jealous, see the green on my face!!! That looks wonderful. :)

scrapinmema 06-11-2013 12:17 PM

Love your new studio, and don't think you missed anything in your design.

alisonquilts 06-11-2013 01:34 PM

That looks wonderful! I covet that closet.

I would give very careful thought to the placement of the ceiling fans relative to your lighting - I have skylights in two rooms and the flickering from the fan blades crossing or coming close to their light paths can be very annoying.(It happens even in one room where the fan doesn't directly cross the light path, but is off to one side.)

I agree that you might enjoy visiting some of the Mission Organization posts. There was a studio design a few months ago by suziehammond that had many many good ideas (here).

Alison