Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   new thread / pics for layout options for SAS / Snail trail (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-thread-pics-layout-options-sas-snail-trail-t312463.html)

MarionsQuilts 09-14-2020 07:31 AM

new thread / pics for layout options for SAS / Snail trail

2 Attachment(s)
I really didn't like the flow of the layout options, and I was very upset with myself for not figuring out the size of blocks that snail trail border should be.

So, I have rearranged it to two options: (my personal preference is without the diamonds as the border) ... thoughts?

ekuw 09-14-2020 08:02 AM

I agree; without the diamonds. Your print is super busy, so the less busy your layout is I think it will be more pleasing to the eye.

Tartan 09-14-2020 08:11 AM

I think you need a plain border strip between the main part and the border. The first picture looks a bit busy.

platyhiker 09-14-2020 08:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like the second option much better. (The first one seems too busy to me.)

The corners are rather different than the rest of the quilt. Personally, I feel like the lack of any dark fabric makes them seem a bit disjointed from the rest of the quilt. One option is to replace the corner blocks with more of the border blocks, which I did via Paint. (I expect that it would be disappointing to not use the lovely corner blocks, but maybe they can go into another project? I think they would be lovely as throw pillows.)

MarionsQuilts 09-14-2020 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by platyhiker (Post 8417993)
I like the second option much better. (The first one seems too busy to me.)

The corners are rather different than the rest of the quilt. Personally, I feel like the lack of any dark fabric makes them seem a bit disjointed from the rest of the quilt. One option is to replace the corner blocks with more of the border blocks, which I did via Paint. (I expect that it would be disappointing to not use the lovely corner blocks, but maybe they can go into another project? I think they would be lovely as throw pillows.)

OOOHHH I like that! And I have enough fabric to make the other blocks!

Thank you!

platyhiker 09-14-2020 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm so happy you like my suggestion! Collaborating with others on quilt options is something I really enjoy. :)

Looking over my image, I just now realized that the shapes the dark fabric was making were inconsistent, which bothers me. Here is an image with the border blocks rotated so they make consistent shapes. (You could also try out the layout with the all the border blocks rotated 180 degrees - that will reverse where the two dark fabric shapes are in the border.)

Jingle 09-14-2020 02:29 PM

I like the last arrangement the best. Good job platyhicker.

Rhonda K 09-15-2020 03:35 AM

Marion,

Are the sides supposed to be two different layouts? In both pictures it appears the blocks are turned. There are two sides in mirror image but the other two side are different. I'm not familiar with all the layouts on SAS-ST. Perhaps this is the way it is supposed to be.

I like the layout in the second picture.

Jordan 09-15-2020 06:57 AM

I agree with you that the one with no diamonds on the border looks best.

MarionsQuilts 09-16-2020 04:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here, hopefully, is my final layout !!!! With a big help from platyhiker!