Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New tool and method for 1/2sq triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-tool-method-1-2sq-triangles-t194170.html)

lfstamper 07-12-2012 05:02 AM

Why do we hate math so much? Another fun tool to add to the many like it we already have...lol. Thanks for sharing.

bigsister63 07-12-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler (Post 5357733)
So many ways to skin a cat - I like to try them all - may need to get this too if it saves time!

have made many 1/2sq triangles using the cut 7/8", mark, sew and cut diagianol method. I think that cuting square 7/8" is tricking using my "omnigrid" ruler which is the only one that i have that has 7/8" mark. By using this tool I can cut 1" square., mark, sew, cut diagionally and have perfect squares each time. I'm really not a "quilting Gadget" person but I have found this tool worth the money.Actually the only thing items that I collect is marking stuff. Still looking for the perfect marker besides a mechanical pencil

lisalovesquilting 07-12-2012 06:01 AM

This one looks like the best one to me. NO squaring up which is time consuming and NO FUN! It's also cheaper from Connecting Threads. Also no line drawing.

Originally Posted by lovestosew (Post 5355790)
The only ruler I use for 1/2 square triangles is the Wonder Ruler. They are so easy, and they come out perfect every time. I used to stay away from anything that had triangles before I got this ruler. Here is the link with a video on how to use it.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/Too...r__D81315.HTML

Click the tab that says bonus media, and they have a video you can watch.

katesnanna 07-12-2012 03:36 PM

I see this as just another device to part quilters from their money. Why can't these "experts" just show how it is done with a straight ruler. My idea of a teacher is someone who wants to share information. I find most of these fancy rulers just sales gimmicks. All the things they do were probably done hundreds of years ago.

patchsamkim 07-12-2012 06:02 PM

I prefer cutting the right size and sewing and not trimming down after as I don't like doing that. It is just necessary to cut accurately, and to sew a "scant" 1/4 " to allow for pressing. Everyone has their favorite way of making triangles, or using gadgets. For smaller triangles, I do like using Thangles papers, but only use them for triangles 2" or less...but they do make them all the way up to 6"...I have several friends who have bought the "Triangulations" program that you can use to print off your own triangle papers. I haven't yet felt I can justify the cost of that.

Susan01948 07-12-2012 08:42 PM

Since you are not using the ruler to rotary cut with, it would be easy enough to make your own ruler by cutting a piece of template plastic that is 5/8" wide with a line down the center.
I've always drawn a grid of squares 1 inch larger than my desired finished square size on the back side of my lighter fabric then draw lines through the center diagonal, next put this and a darker fabric right sides together & sew 1/4" from the diagonal line cut on all of the lines. A person could use the 5/8 ruler (home made) instead of trying to guage the 1/4+ at the sewing machine.

gollytwo 07-13-2012 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5353258)
I think the 7/8" didn't make sense. I have thought of just rounding up to the next number, then cut down to size needed. No sense to make things harder then they need to be.

I'm with Jingle. This 1/8th business seems ridiculous to me. I always make them a little larger and then cut to the size I need.

nhweaver 07-13-2012 04:42 AM

I like the idea of the ruler compensating for the 7/8", my favorite way to make hst is the hst paper on a roll. I can make alot of them in a short period of time.

bigsister63 07-13-2012 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo (Post 5360916)
I'm with Jingle. This 1/8th business seems ridiculous to me. I always make them a little larger and then cut to the size I need.

What this ruler /tool does is saves you the step of having to cut down /square your blocks.

smiley_54834 10-23-2012 02:43 PM

magic triangle method

It is a wonderful tool. I just took her certification teacher class yesterday and became Magic Triangle Method Certification Teacher.. I am SO excited to get started teaching her wonderful method.. NO more trimming blocks to fit. I have taken a lot of classes from Cindy and just love her classes. Even me being an educator I still learn something every time I take her classes. If you haven't seen her method you should go to her web site and check it out.
www.cindycasciato.com
You won't be sorry.
Thank you for your time
Patsy