Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New at using design wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-using-design-wall-t114993.html)

Dina 04-10-2011 08:56 AM

I have had my new design wall for less than 24 hours, and already I can't figure out how I existed without it. I love it. I have been adding borders and it is soooo easy to see what I really like now. Somehow when I laid it all on a bed, it just didn't work as easily as this does.

This is sort of a portable design wall, flannel duck taped to some sort of an insulation board my husband got for me at HomeDepot ($9 for an 8'x4' sheet). I cut it down to 70 inches and left it 48 inches wide. (cut with a steak knife). I had made one earlier in the week out of cardboard, and it looked great for ten hours, then it sort of bent in the middle. (Yes, my cardboard had had a crease where it bent...just left over cardboard from a big box.)

But, I digress....I love this design wall, and I really recommend you get one if you don't have one. Mine sits in front of my closet and will slide behind the door of the room when I don't want it out.

ccb2200 04-10-2011 09:01 AM

I have one also and I love it. My husband put it on two pieces of plywood and it folds in half so I can just put it out of the way when I don't use it. Really can tell what the quilt will look like.

Jill 04-10-2011 09:14 AM

I've been quilting for nine years and just got one a few months ago and I love it. I always recommend it as an essential in a sewing room if people have the space for it.

sewmuchmore 04-10-2011 09:34 AM

Love to see a picture. I might be albe to get hubby to me make one :wink:

QuiltE 04-10-2011 09:43 AM

I am so in love with mine ..... I call it my Fuzzy Wall as it's covered in black polar fleece!

Best Gift to Myself ... Ever!!!!!!

(and I'm totally spoiled ... 7-1/2'x10' !!!!!!!)

quilter1943 04-10-2011 09:46 AM

What a fabulous idea!! We're moving into a condo (if we sell our home here) and that will be perfect for me. I love the ideas I get on this board.

Originally Posted by ccb2200
I have one also and I love it. My husband put it on two pieces of plywood and it folds in half so I can just put it out of the way when I don't use it. Really can tell what the quilt will look like.

QuiltE 04-10-2011 09:53 AM

For those that don't have the space .. what about covering the back of your room/closet door. Or perhaps a double sliding closet door?

Dina 04-10-2011 10:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sewmuchmore, I am not sure if you want a picture of my design wall or ccb2200's, but I took pictures, just in case.

My room is not large, so I had to stand in the hall to get pictures. The first picture has a quilt on it that I am adding borders to. The second is "naked."

The board my husband bought is used for insulation and is a light purple. It cuts easily with a paring knife. I made mine 70 inches tall, as that is what fit best in my space. I said I put flannel on it, but actually it is batting, Warm and White. I bought flannel but decided I didn't want a seam, and my sister had used batting quite successfully on hers.

I hope this is helpful.

amma 04-10-2011 11:20 AM

Thank you for the description and the pictures :D:D:D

QuiltE 04-10-2011 11:22 AM

Nice looking quilt too!