Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New to this...where's the back?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-wheres-back-t219287.html)

karate lady 04-18-2013 10:49 AM

I prefer muslin for all my quilts, except for the little guys and gals. Those I find matching fabric. No one ever complains. smile.....

Geri B 04-18-2013 12:46 PM

It appears you have rec'd many suggestions here about where to get backings. May I also suggest that you either look on line at some utube tutorials or get hold of some "beginner" type books/mags that will help you in cutting/piecing blocks for your top. It will help you to understand the whole process better and give you the right essential do/don't in quilt making. JMHO

maryellen2u 04-18-2013 01:10 PM

I am partially disabled and cannot wander the aisles of quilt shops. Many websites have backing fabrics for very reasonable prices. I like the 6 yard bolts of Kona cotton black or white (and sometimes other colors) at Fabric Depot. Sometimes it is as cheap as $22.00 for 6 yards. I love Connecting Threads and Fabric .com. Where was I shopping yesterday that had backings 109" wide? Oh dang! I miss my mind so much since I lost it!

twinkie 04-18-2013 01:40 PM

Many times, especially on a scrappy, you can piece the backing but it is usually sold separately. We have a fabric store that has backing on rolls in every color.

nativetexan 04-18-2013 03:05 PM

actually some kits do include backing. they cost much more of course. Good luck!!

Milli 04-18-2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 6005843)
I've not ordered backing fabric online but others can give you suggestions of great sites to do so.

Also you can do a scrappy backing and make it a reversible quilt if you choose.

A third choice (which some might call cheating, but my family loves) is to use fleece as a combination backing/batting.

Not cheating cause I do this and I don't cheat, I think it is a grand idea!

lisalisa 04-18-2013 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by armywifern (Post 6005835)
Hi all! I am so new to quilting, that I'm still just playing around with scrap pieces of material trying to cut things straight and make them fit. I'm considering ordering a kit from Fons & Porter, but I noticed that they all say "includes material for top and binding". (I know this sounds silly) Where do I get the material for the back of the quilt? Before you tell me just to pop down to Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or my local quilt store my husband and I are currently living in Germany, so it's not so easy. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

I think most of us used sheets when we began. truth be told I think most of us still do. Unless you're entering in a show or sending it off to a long armer, it doesn't matter. If you have any old blankets lying around that need a makeover- use that! There are no rules. So just have fun and use what you got.

StephT 04-18-2013 03:32 PM

I also use a flat sheet. works really well

KathyPhillips 04-18-2013 05:00 PM

Connecting Threads or Thousand Bolts on line would be your best bet. Good prices. You can buy wide backing fabric
90-108" wide or 45" fabric and cut to the length of your quilt, then cut the second piece in half and put on each side. So you would have 3 pieces to the back, not a seam in the middle.
Hello from Texas. I used to work at Ft. Hood, TX, an Army base.

IBQUILTIN 04-18-2013 05:13 PM

If you bought a kit from Fons and Porter, they should offer backing fabric as well. Recheck their site or wherever you made your purchase. Hope this helps