Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New word in my vocabulary (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-word-my-vocabulary-t153417.html)

M.I.Late 09-16-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
how about "how can I fangle this queen quilt under my throat space?"

I think this one is fanagle.

Scissor Queen 09-16-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by rosemary krupski
Helen Kelley's THE JOY OF QUILTING is one of the most enjoyable books I have read. It is a collection of short stories about quilting and her adventures. You would all enjoy it.

This is her explanation - "This afternoon I have been taking my 'fankle' apart, bit by bit. A fankle is what Scottish needleworkers call a snarly mess. Until I met people who do large, counted thread pictures and kept their flosses in controlled assortments, I thought that everyone's embroidery threads were in a fankle."

Some days I feel as though my quilting is in a fankle.

Get the book. You will love it! Thanks everyone for guessing!

You asked what a "fangle" was. Not what a "fankle" was.

That kind of makes it hard to get the correct meaning.

M.I.Late 09-16-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
A tangle with fangs? I've always used it as new fangled or fancy invention. I learned 2 new quilting words this week too...quilt poop and thread turds. Can't wait to throw those into a conversation! :lol:

What about bobbin bugars - I think that's the same...

Teddybear Lady 09-16-2011 07:09 PM

The answer is above. Read UP!

I know...just trying to make a funny! :lol:

kuntryquilter 09-17-2011 03:10 AM

In your original message you spelled the word 'fangle' in this message you spelled it 'fankle'. Now which is the correct spelling?

Helen Kelley's THE JOY OF QUILTING is one of the most enjoyable books I have read. It is a collection of short stories about quilting and her adventures. You would all enjoy it.

This is her explanation - "This afternoon I have been taking my 'fankle' apart, bit by bit. A fankle is what Scottish needleworkers call a snarly mess. Until I met people who do large, counted thread pictures and kept their flosses in controlled assortments, I thought that everyone's embroidery threads were in a fankle."

Some days I feel as though my quilting is in a fankle.

Get the book. You will love it! Thanks everyone for guessing!

Yooper32 09-17-2011 03:10 AM

There is new-fangled and in my book, there is fandangled and don't ask me what that means because the use of it escapes me at the present time.

jitkaau 09-17-2011 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I grew up the phrase "new fangled". Like: Mable got one of those new fangled washing machines.

Me too.

mummadee 09-17-2011 03:36 AM

Could a fangle be another word for the stoppy starty thingy?

tmg 09-17-2011 04:31 AM

New word to me.

JanieH 09-17-2011 04:47 AM

Definitely a new word, along with the others, to add to my quilting vocabulary!