Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New York Beauty question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-york-beauty-question-t116955.html)

GrandmaJeanne 04-17-2011 07:15 PM

I want to so bad do a New York Beauty block, only I'm terrified of putting it together with the 3 sections (curves are my problem) Is there a right way to go about this block to make it easy so it lays flat and is not cumbersome to sew.

sewcrafty 04-17-2011 07:24 PM

Have you considered PP'ing it. Its not as scary that way.

quiltingnonie 04-17-2011 07:26 PM

I LOVE doing NYB blocks! (Note all the ones in my avatar quilt) If you can wait until tomorrow, I will look up the instructions I used, which made it relatively simple... I rarely had a problem. Clipping the curves was crucial.

GrandmaJeanne 04-17-2011 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
I LOVE doing NYB blocks! (Note all the ones in my avatar quilt) If you can wait until tomorrow, I will look up the instructions I used, which made it relatively simple... I rarely had a problem. Clipping the curves was crucial.

I sure would appreciate it. Tried doing one this afternoon, but just wasn't satisfied with the result.

zkosh 04-17-2011 07:31 PM

When you sew it together, you place the "piece of pie" on the bed of the machine and the open curved piece on top, having pinned them together at each end and in the middle. As you stitch you gradually match the top to the bottom piece. The two curves are really the same length! Don't try to pin all along the curve because that will only add to the difficulty. It's pretty easy once you relax and let the pieces match up as you stitch. :D

RDM 04-17-2011 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by zkosh
When you sew it together, you place the "piece of pie" on the bed of the machine and the open curved piece on top, having pinned them together at each end and in the middle. As you stitch you gradually match the top to the bottom piece. The two curves are really the same length! Don't try to pin all along the curve because that will only add to the difficulty. It's pretty easy once you relax and let the pieces match up as you stitch. :D

I agree-this worked for me on pie curved piecing.

quiltingnonie 04-18-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty

PP'ing is great for the 'points' of the NYB block. However, you can't PP the inner or outer arch that surrounds it.

fabric_fancy 04-18-2011 07:49 AM

paper piece the points and then use sharon schamber pieclique circle method to sew the curves.

http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%2...ee%20Stuff.htm

sewcrafty 04-19-2011 06:54 AM

Has worked for me.

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie

Originally Posted by sewcrafty

PP'ing is great for the 'points' of the NYB block. However, you can't PP the inner or outer arch that surrounds it.

quiltingnonie 04-19-2011 09:44 AM

Here is my method, which seems a bit simpler, and always worked well for me:

You will have 3 sections: Your PP'd NYB points, the inner arch which looks like a 1/4 circle, and the outer top arch which has a squared edge on two sides.

Fold your NYB point block in half, and place a pin at the halfway point on the top of block. Fold the top arch piece in half, placing a pin at the middle on the inside curve.
Using sharp scissors, made 1/8" deep cuts every 1/2" all along the INSIDE curve. With right sides together, match the center pins and pin together at the midpoint. Line up the straight side edges and pin. With the top arch on TOP, stitch 1/4" seam along the curve for about an inch. Stop and realgn the edges. It helps to use a stilleto or pin to ease the fabric into position. Go slowly.

Repeat process for the bottom arch piece, except you make the 1/8" clips on the INSIDE arc of the NYB pieced block.

Good Luck!