Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie with a fabric buying question... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-fabric-buying-question-t57289.html)

Jerudy 08-01-2010 09:36 AM

I am new to quilting and newer to this board. I have a question regarding buying fabric. I have several finished and unfinished quilt-tops and am anxious to try to actually try to machine-quilt finish some of these projects. Recently I injured my hand, so I'll have to temporarily put off progress. Well, my DH has just offered a road trip to Lancaster tomorrow, (to lift my spirits a little). OK, now to my question.....

How to shop for new fabrics, I don't have any plans for a new quilts, so how do I buy stash? Should I just buy fabrics that I like? and how much of each? Or should I try to find a new pattern and figure out exactly what I need to make something new?

roseOfsharon 08-01-2010 09:39 AM

I have just learned to pick a fabric that I like with other colors within it as a focal point..example.. floral print.. then chose the colors within it to compliment the floral print. :)

franie 08-01-2010 09:40 AM

Pick a pattern that has fabric requirements and shop that way. First find a focal fabric and then work around that. That's how I do it SOMETIMES. Sometimes I just stash build. If I really like something I don't do less than 3 yds.

mlaceruby 08-01-2010 09:46 AM

If you find something you like buy it!
at least 3 yds
but if you are just building stash
try buying background fabrics, whites, neutrals, blacks
also buy what types of fabric you like
such as americana,batik, civil war,calicos, etc
so even if you don't have a project in mind they will work into one at a later time.
also quilt backs

bearisgray 08-01-2010 09:49 AM

I would suggest staying with just a few styles/themes to start with, so that you can mix and match the fabrics later.

oldswimmer 08-01-2010 09:54 AM

I am always on the look out for stash fabrics that I like to include in my quilts. I am always drawn to polka dots, so ususally buy great looking ones when I find them. Around 1 1/2 yards. Enough to add some to a quilt, and maybe a small border, or binding. I do think it may be easier to start with a pattern that has fabric requirements, and then look for those. It may be less overwhelming.
I also keep a look out for "good" colors that I like. For instance.... a "good" red in my opinioin. There are so many reds (or greens, or blacks, or blues) but when I see one that fits my criteria, then I buy it.
It will take a while, but you will find your own shoppin style! Good luck!

donnajean 08-01-2010 10:17 AM

As prices for fabric get more & more expensive, I like to have some idea of what I am going to do with fabric purchases. So, it is a big help if I take a few patterns along with me when shopping. However, I do a lot of floral applique, so small pieces of colorful fabrics are always nice.

Originally Posted by Jerudy
I am new to quilting and newer to this board. I have a question regarding buying fabric. I have several finished and unfinished quilt-tops and am anxious to try to actually try to machine-quilt finish some of these projects. Recently I injured my hand, so I'll have to temporarily put off progress. Well, my DH has just offered a road trip to Lancaster tomorrow, (to lift my spirits a little). OK, now to my question.....

How to shop for new fabrics, I don't have any plans for a new quilts, so how do I buy stash? Should I just buy fabrics that I like? and how much of each? Or should I try to find a new pattern and figure out exactly what I need to make something new?

Rebecca VLQ 08-01-2010 11:18 AM

I'd say buy no more than 1/2yd of "special" fabrics, but things like white, ivory, blender colors you can buy more yardage of because it's easy to use them in other projects, kwim? I used to buy whole yards of things I loved, and ended up with 1/2 yard or more left over! :D

MamaHen 08-01-2010 01:11 PM

I never buy less than 2yards of any fabric if it is going in my stash. Most of the quilts I make I use at least 5 different fabrics, so at 2 yards apiece I feel I usually have enough. I very rarely use patterns, I might see a block or something else I like and go from there. I always change things around as I create, It never ends up like I had pictured it would be, it gets better. I am always suprised in the end. If I have small project for guild, I will only buy what fabric I need for said project. Went shopping yesterday, bought about 15 yards of fabric. End of bolt sales. I very rarely pay full price.

MinnieKat 08-01-2010 01:45 PM

Hi, welcome from Minnesota!

When I started my stash I just bought fat quarters, but I found that I don't really use them very often ... so now I've started buying at least a yard of fabric that I like, sometimes even more. I'll probably use my fat quarters for scrap quilts or maybe baby quilts.