Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie at free motion quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-free-motion-quilting-t127788.html)

KimS 06-03-2011 11:25 AM

I'l like to try free motion quilting with my regular sewing machine. Thought I'd use my son's twin size quilt as my first project. What is the best design for a first timer to use? Any tricks and/or tips anyone can offer? My machine does have the quilting guide bar so should I use that?

MadQuilter 06-03-2011 11:28 AM

The best thing to do when you first start is to just get a feel for the motion. Instead of working on a quilt, practice on some sample pieces. That way you can focus on the process and not the results.

Try stippling, meandering, follow some outlines, etc. Try to find the sweet spot between the speed of the machine and the speed whith which you move the fabric.

I can recommend the book "Machine QUilting Made Easy" by Maureen Noble. She has some good basic exercised.

KimS 06-03-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
The best thing to do when you first start is to just get a feel for the motion. Instead of working on a quilt, practice on some sample pieces. That way you can focus on the process and not the results.

Try stippling, meandering, follow some outlines, etc. Try to find the sweet spot between the speed of the machine and the speed whith which you move the fabric.

I can recommend the book "Machine QUilting Made Easy" by Maureen Noble. She has some good basic exercised.

I've always hand quilted so do I use that type of thread to free motion quilt or do I use regular cotton thread? Is there a certain type machine needle I need? I have a walking foot and from what I've read that is the best to use. Thoughts on that?

Stitchnripper 06-03-2011 11:48 AM

I just went to a talk by a lady who works for YLI threads and I think she said the only important thing is not to use the hand quilting thread in your machine, otherwise it is up to you. Regular thread would be fine for most purposes. You wouldn't use a walking foot for FMQ. Instead you would use a quilting foot, sometimes called a darning foot.

KimS 06-03-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I just went to a talk by a lady who works for YLI threads and I think she said the only important thing is not to use the hand quilting thread in your machine, otherwise it is up to you. Regular thread would be fine for most purposes. You wouldn't use a walking foot for FMQ. Instead you would use a quilting foot, sometimes called a darning foot.

I have a darning foot and thank you so much for letting me know about that and the thread.

MadQuilter 06-03-2011 04:04 PM

I often use a similar thread for piecing and quilting (just different colors). You can use machine thread for hand work but NO HAND THREAD IN THE MACHINE. The hand thread is coated and the coating is not good for the machine.

I love using variegated threads and I use Connecting Threads thread - love to get it when it goes on sale. Sometimes it is nice to use a thread that is a little heavier than regular piecing thread. Some machines are picky too and that dictates what brand or type to use.

There are needles coded for quilting but to tell the truth, I often use the same needles as for piecing. You have to remember that the needle has to make it through 3 layers so a heavier needle may be necessary. See what works with your machine.

Check your manual how to set up your machine for FMQ.

hopetoquilt 06-03-2011 05:34 PM

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/artic...motionquilting
these tutorials/videos are really good

Doreen 06-03-2011 05:41 PM

Be sure to wear some type of gloves. Use a top stitch needle. Practice first. Dog feeds should be down.
Your tension may need to be adjusted so that you don't have eyelashes in the back. Test the speed you are most confortable with on your machine. Good luck!!

Jannie 06-03-2011 06:11 PM

I read recently & tried this -- use your darning foot but don't lower the feed dogs. It did seem to give a little more control.

lisalisa 06-03-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jannie
I read recently & tried this -- use your darning foot but don't lower the feed dogs. It did seem to give a little more control.

Setting your stitch length to zero will usually suffice, it's just un-needed wear and tear on the feet dogs to leave them up.