Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie needing HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-needing-help-t12153.html)

MsSage 10-12-2008 10:39 AM

I think I got in over my head LOL
I want/started to make a rag quilt with 5" squares and a 4 block square ......I am using western prints and bunkhouse charm packs from Moda
The quilt will be 21 squares by 27 squares. That comes out to almost 1200 squares (2268 small ones)
I need advice about cuting the squares FAST I am running out of time to have it done by Christmas.
I have made easy quilts from kits ( pieces already cut and simple seams)
I only have about 2-3 hours every other day to work on this.
My S/O will be here in a week so I wont be able to work on it for over a week eeeekkkkkkkkkkkk
THANK YOU in advance

Mplsgirl 10-12-2008 10:43 AM

I am not experienced enuf to give advice on this, but someone here will help you. I just wanted to say welcome from Illinois!

Quilter101 10-12-2008 02:07 PM

I'm also a newbie, I've made ONE quilt, but I agree you are over your head.
My suggestion is that if you have a sewing machine you get all of the squares organized, or what you have cut out, and chain piece like mad, and that could help? I honestly don't know....

Moonpi 10-12-2008 02:15 PM

The quickest way I know is to stack them up and rotary cut. Maybe you should ask a friend to help you, since this seems like an unrealistic deadline, given your time restrictions, and the holidays.

Maybe you can scale that size back.

judee0624 10-12-2008 02:20 PM

:D :D OK, I am going to try to help. I have made a couple of rag quilts and I love them. I don't like the cutting and that is what takes the longest. The putting together is fast. So think about that. Then, cut no more than 6 layers of fabric at a time. The charms are already cut for you, so that is done. Just cut 5 in. strips and then subcut the strips into 5 in. squares laying 2 or 3 stips on your board (each 6 layers) and cut away! Does that make sense?

Write back if you still need help.

judee

Janstar 10-12-2008 03:44 PM

Welcome from Washington State! Good Luck on your project.

sandpat 10-12-2008 03:46 PM

Girl..you better get to cutting and chain piecing!!! :lol: :lol: Its doable...if you get started on it..I'm wishing you good luck and welcome to the board!!

Bernadette Harwood 10-12-2008 05:18 PM

You can do it! Rotary cutting is the only way to be fast and accurate. Then lay it out in rows and get busy. I have three quilts at least to do by then and a nursery to finish so go for it. I'm not happy unless I'm busy sewing. :)

mary quite contrary 10-12-2008 05:23 PM

Welcome from Texas.

Keep it up. You can do it.

Jim's Gem 10-12-2008 07:41 PM

Welcome from Southern California. Also when sewing chain-stitch in other words keep feeding your squares into your machine without cutting until you have a whole bunch. The cut apart and press a whole bunch at the same time and then chain-stitch the next step etc.