Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie needs help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-needs-help-t293679.html)

Rickikelly 12-31-2017 05:47 AM

Newbie needs help!

Hi there! Happy new year!
I’m hoping someone may be able to help.
I am making the Yuletide quilt from Simply Moderne magazine, and I’m having trouble figuring this out. I’m making two and I’m just half through with the first.
ok, so the finished dimensions of the quilt are supposed to be 76 1/4” x 96”. It comes with two triangle templates, which are 60 degree triangles. The general instructions say to add 1/4” for seam allowance all around for each triangle- the 6” and the 3”.
So, I did. And yesterday I went to my LQS, to pick up backing and binding because this is really cute holiday fabric, I didn’t want them to be out by the time I go to pick up my backing and binding. And I happened to find the perfect template that is exact to the template in the pattern, a 6” 60 degree triangle however, it already includes the seam allowance!!!
Did I just make my first quilt way too large you think? Or did I do it correctly? I can measure the half of the quilt I’ve done so far? Thank you!

DeltaMS 12-31-2017 05:55 AM

If they told you to add the seam allowance then, I think you should be just fine.

Rhonda K 12-31-2017 06:08 AM

Hi & Welcome!

As long as you are consistent and use the same template/measurements throughout the cutting process, you will be fine.

If there is a difference between pattern and your quilt wait to cut any border fabrics.

Check the measurements against the finished block size. Measure your actual quilt and then cut the borders.

Good luck!

Jingle 12-31-2017 04:02 PM

Welcome to this board and Happy New Year.

Sandra in Minnesota 12-31-2017 06:52 PM

Welcome and Happy New Year!

givio 12-31-2017 08:20 PM

The acrylic rulers usually have markings on them for the finished size of the piece you will sew and the size of the piece you will cut for it. Here's an example of a 60 degree ruler where you can see the sewing lines and the cutting lines. If you want a triangle 6" high, from base to top point, then you would cut the fabric at the 6 1/2" line (which gives you a 1/4" seam allowance all around). For your 3" triangle, you'd use the 3 1/2" cutting line. Usually, people will cut a strip of fabric using a straight ruler, for example a 6 1/2" strip, then use the triangle ruler to cut the two other sides of the triangle.

Acrylic rulers tend to be more accurate for cutting fabric than if you use a paper or cardboard template to which you have added a seam around. After tracing or cutting around such a template many times it tends to gradually get smaller.

If you do what your pattern says, then you should be cutting and sewing the correct size for it. You certainly can compare the template you have made to the ruler and choose the correct line to use on the ruler.

just janet 01-01-2018 11:13 AM

HI and welcome to the board. You're going to love it here. Everyone is so helpful. Happy New Year, hope there's lots of quilt projects in the year ahead for you.