Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie Needs Help/washing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-needs-help-washing-question-t66471.html)

Julie in NM 09-24-2010 05:04 AM

wash wash wash. Fab WILL shrink some but shrinks different
%s and directions.

Scissor Queen 09-24-2010 06:00 AM

I wouldn't wash it. Shrinkage is your friend!!! Shrinkage is not the enemy! When it's done and you toss it in the wash the slight shrinkage and puckering will hide a multitude of mistakes.

crashnquilt 09-24-2010 06:01 AM

Ditto what Julie says. I prewash all of my fabric. First is to remove all the chemicals in the fabric, excess dye, formaldehyde, insecticide and the like. Second, fabrics do shrink at different rates some 1%, some 3% and some at much at 10%. Prewashing prevents the quilt from becoming warped as it is used.

Some do not prewash because the "crisp" fabric is easier to cut. I have found that if I starch and press the fabric before cutting it cuts much smoother than non washed. Also, it seems like my rotary blades last much longer this way.

If I am using a cotton batting or cotton blend batting, I mist the batting with water and throw it in the dryer with a wet towel. This removes all creases in the batt and preshrinks the batt as well.

gollytwo 09-24-2010 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I would probably go ahead and wash the back, but not the top. When you've got it quilted and wash it, it may have a little shrinkage, but that kindof gives it a vintage look. I always wash my fatbacks, but I don't usually prewash my fabrics, and have not had any problems (knock on wood!) so far. I'd be afraid the top would ravel too much and maybe even come unsewed. Good luck whatever you decide.

ditto

Prism99 09-24-2010 08:33 AM

I don't prewash at all. If you quilt adequately in relationship to the batting, the quilting actually helps the sandwich not distort. I don't mind a little shrinkage (whatever is normal in fabrics) because it just provides the soft, old-fashioned "crinkle" look I like.

In your situation, I might prewash the backing fabric, but this would depend on the fabric. Muslins and flannels can shrink a lot, so I would prewash. Most others are okay.

Washing the top is likely to make a mess. The only way I would ever wash a top is if I first basted it to a foundation fabric (to prevent fraying of all the seams), then hand washed and air-dried.

Whether pre-washing or not, it's a good idea to starch both the top and backing fabric before layering if you are planning to machine quilt. This helps prevents puckers. (Not necessary if you plan to tie the quilt or hand quilt.)

GrammaNan 09-24-2010 06:14 PM

Sew glad you found us! Welcome from Colorado.

Annya 09-25-2010 12:43 AM

[quote=crashnquilt]Ditto what Julie says. I prewash all of my fabric. First is to remove all the chemicals in the fabric, excess dye, formaldehyde, insecticide and the like. Second, fabrics do shrink at different rates some 1%, some 3% and some at much at 10%. Prewashing prevents the quilt from becoming warped as it is used.

Some do not prewash because the "crisp" fabric is easier to cut. I have found that if I starch and press the fabric before cutting it cuts much smoother than non washed. Also, it seems like my rotary blades last much longer this way. (quote)

I am using wool/cotton blend and I do not wash it but I do wash and iron all the other fabrics. I do wash the backing fabric as every thing I have had so far bleeds badly.

amma 09-25-2010 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I don't prewash at all. If you quilt adequately in relationship to the batting, the quilting actually helps the sandwich not distort. I don't mind a little shrinkage (whatever is normal in fabrics) because it just provides the soft, old-fashioned "crinkle" look I like.

In your situation, I might prewash the backing fabric, but this would depend on the fabric. Muslins and flannels can shrink a lot, so I would prewash. Most others are okay.

Washing the top is likely to make a mess. The only way I would ever wash a top is if I first basted it to a foundation fabric (to prevent fraying of all the seams), then hand washed and air-dried.

Whether pre-washing or not, it's a good idea to starch both the top and backing fabric before layering if you are planning to machine quilt. This helps prevents puckers. (Not necessary if you plan to tie the quilt or hand quilt.)

I agree... your quilt is going to be beautiful, those crinkles just add an antique look to your quilt.

Olivia's Grammy 09-25-2010 02:20 PM

My rule of thumb is wash all or none. As some of the others have said the slight shrinkage makes a quilt look like an antique. If you haven't prewashed just be sure when you do wash you use the color catchers in case of fading.

jolo 09-26-2010 06:47 AM

I have been quilting since I was very young and never prewhashed my fabrics,have never been disappointed in my quilts when they were washed after many usings. It is your choice whether to prewash or not.