Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie with a piecing question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-piecing-question-t65266.html)

running1 09-17-2010 04:01 PM

I've stitched my 10" square blocks into 9 rows. There are 7 blocks in a row. What is easier, or better, or what do the veterans do? Stitch row 1 to row 2 to row 3 to row 4, etc. OR stitch row 1 and 2 together, 3 and 4 together, etc., then stitch all 1/2 to 3/4, etc.? Is one way better? why? Just been thinking about this and decided to ask all my quilting friends (and heroes, I might add) what they think.
Love, love, LOVE this site!!!
And thank you, in advance, to all who share!!

sidmona 09-17-2010 04:03 PM

I usually divide the rows into half and then stitch the two halves together. For example, with your nine rows I would stitch 4 together and 5 together then stitch both together. Hope you understand what I'm saying.

GrammaNan 09-17-2010 04:05 PM

IMHO "In My Humble Opinion" It doesn't matter. The only thing that I do, especially with a larger quilt, Is to start on opposite ends every other row or so. It keeps the rows from "twisting". I am sure you will receive a lot of suggestions. There is always more than one way to do something when it comes to quilting. Welcome to the board.

Sadiemae 09-17-2010 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by running1
I've stitched my 10" square blocks into 9 rows. There are 7 blocks in a row. What is easier, or better, or what do the veterans do? Stitch row 1 to row 2 to row 3 to row 4, etc. OR stitch row 1 and 2 together, 3 and 4 together, etc., then stitch all 1/2 to 3/4, etc.? Is one way better? why? Just been thinking about this and decided to ask all my quilting friends (and heroes, I might add) what they think.
Love, love, LOVE this site!!!
And thank you, in advance, to all who share!!

I sew 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8
Then I sew 2/3 6/7 and 9
Then I sew 4/5
I do it this way because it is easier and prevents quite a bit of stretching.
I am sure there are lots of ways, this is just what I do.

MadQuilter 09-17-2010 04:11 PM

I mix it up. Sometimes I do row by row - sometimes I pair the rows. A lot depends whether my pattern is persnickety or random. With exact placement, I sometimes mark my rows to make sure that I don't do the upside down plan and then have to rip. (Done that many of times).

One thing that is important to me: I pay close attention to the pressing. It helps when you can nest the blocks and that depends on pressing the seams to accommodatet that.

Sadiemae 09-17-2010 04:45 PM

I always mark my rows. I have learned the lesson the hard way!

abonda 09-17-2010 04:49 PM

welcome to the board. I hope your project comes out fantastic. I hope you will show us pictures when your done.

wvdek 09-17-2010 04:49 PM

All good advice.

littlehud 09-17-2010 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
IMHO "In My Humble Opinion" It doesn't matter. The only thing that I do, especially with a larger quilt, Is to start on opposite ends every other row or so. It keeps the rows from "twisting". I am sure you will receive a lot of suggestions. There is always more than one way to do something when it comes to quilting. Welcome to the board.

That is exactly what I do. I learned the hard way.

grammyp 09-17-2010 06:26 PM

I lay my blocks out the way I want them then chain piece them row 2 to 1, then 3 to 2, and 4 to 5 ...

Then when all the rows are done, just pin together and stitch across.