Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie Question...about quiting store fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-question-about-quiting-store-fabric-t184865.html)

TeresaS 04-02-2012 08:04 PM

Newbie Question...about quiting store fabric

How important is it to use quilt store high quality fabric at 10.00 ++ a yard? I just signed up for my beginner class, and went and purchased my fabric..150.00 later I had everything. Wow sticker shock! I was wondering can i use joann fabric and alot cheaper? If not is there somewhere online that sells quilt store fabric at a discounted price? I really appreciate how helpful everyone is on this board. Thank you

newbee3 04-02-2012 08:21 PM

You can usually find suitable fabric at less per yard. I would use what you can afford and enjoy the process. Years ago they used old clothes and made beautiful quilts.

Tartan 04-02-2012 08:29 PM

Yes, fabric is one of those things like gasoline that keeps going up and up. There are a lot of on line sources for good fabric at slightly lower prices. Your profile doesn't say where you live but if you are in the U.S. most will have a reduced shipping rate for a larger order. Favorite Fabrics, Connecting Threads, EQuilter, etc. have sites and if you Google on line quilt/fabric shops, there are many others. Fabric from your local quilt shop is usually higher quality than Joann's or Walmart but not always. If a local shop is where you are taking the class then they sometimes require you to purchase their fabric. I'm sure some of the others on QB will tell you some of their favourite spots to get good quality, reasonable fabrics.

TeresaS 04-02-2012 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5112216)
Yes, fabric is one of those things like gasoline that keeps going up and up. There are a lot of on line sources for good fabric at slightly lower prices. Your profile doesn't say where you live but if you are in the U.S. most will have a reduced shipping rate for a larger order. Favorite Fabrics, Connecting Threads, EQuilter, etc. have sites and if you Google on line quilt/fabric shops, there are many others. Fabric from your local quilt shop is usually higher quality than Joann's or Walmart but not always. If a local shop is where you are taking the class then they sometimes require you to purchase their fabric. I'm sure some of the others on QB will tell you some of their favourite spots to get good quality, reasonable fabrics.

Thank you so much for the information. I will update my profile as well, thanks again. Teresa from Olympia Washington :)

auntpiggylpn 04-02-2012 09:22 PM

You will get many different opinions on this subject!!! There is no right or wrong answer for this question. I am a firm believer in buying and using what you can afford and/or want to use. There is absolutely nothing wrong in using non-LQS fabrics when you make a quilt. Remember, back in the day, quilters used whatever they had on hand. There wasn't money to purchase fabrics just for a quilt. Quilts can be beautiful, usable and durable from fabrics bought at chain stores and LQS. Use what you want. There isn't any quilt police!!!!

Jim 04-02-2012 09:32 PM

I use fabric I have purchased from many places....JoAnns, Hancocks, Ben Franklin, online stores as well as fabric I buy from people on this board...I please ME....not anyone who claims to be the quilt police...LOL...but we have many local fabric stores that sell for less than 10 bucks a yard also...and when shopping don't forget the coupons...it saves money for more fabric

Dotha 04-02-2012 10:36 PM

Once you use nice fabric it will be nearly impossible to go back to cheaper fabric. I don't like the fact that cheaper fabric tends to fade and just don't feel as nice to touch. I worked in my LQS for 18 years so I am spoiled...and a big believer in using nice fabric. A bit of a thread snob too. haha But it is all personal. If you can afford it, buy the best. If not, do what you can. after all, the joy is in the journey.

QM 04-02-2012 10:58 PM

Most of us began using cheaper stuff. as Dotha said, "I am spoiled...and a big believer in using nice fabric. A bit of a thread snob too. haha But it is all personal. If you can afford it, buy the best. If not, do what you can. after all, the joy is in the journey. " I go both ways. I don't use the super high priced Japanese prints for baby quilts, however (charity or otherwise) I won't use stuff that won't hold up. When it comes to thread, however, I only use fairly high quality. The cheap stuff can wreak your machine.

QuiltingCrazie 04-03-2012 12:15 AM

Buy what you can afford and enjoy quilting. Quilting can get expensive but if take it in strides you can do at your budget. To build up and see what you like I would recommend a fat quarter club. They are under 20 dollars a month you can choose a mix of manufacturers or just one. everything goes together and will help you see selection, color values and build your stash at the same time. Other will say it's a waste of money but when I started I found it intimidating to see all the bolts and I liked this and that but when you get to the register and buy yards it's shocking and your emotions are everywhere. So I started small and now I only buy yardage with a project in mind I search out the clearance first then I shop around to see who has the cheapest on that particular fabric. I did fall in love with some fabric when I went to a quilt store here and I paid 11.25 a yard for those but I had to have them I can't explain it and the price didn't bother me at all. The DH was paying so that might have helped me a little lol!

hopetoquilt 04-03-2012 01:43 AM

A couple of weeks ago, one quilter posted a quilt that was made purely from Walmart fabrics and it was gorgeous! Look closely at the quality of the fabric before you buy it. Thousands of Bolts has great fabric and if you get on their email list, they email sales all the time. Alot of people build huge stashes of fabric. I need to be very careful with money so I only buy for projects and I do the scrap storage system so every possible inch of fabric is used.