Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-question-t12556.html)

GailG 10-28-2008 04:07 AM

Hey Tim, my dad used to say that there are many ways to skin a cat. I'm going to try that technique the next time I'm at the machine. I use the post-it pad "method." I have a quarter- inch foot, but it's good to have tricks in my hat to help others who don't. Thanks. :lol:

Missi 10-28-2008 05:32 AM

Someone mentioned books at the library, they are great cause they are free! A book that is great for beginners that i go to over and over again is the Fons and Porter complete guide to quilting. I picked mine up years ago at Jo Anns with a 40% off coupon.

QuiltinLee 10-28-2008 06:17 AM

The best advice I can give is to read up or ask here on the Board anytime you have a question.

There are always short cuts, but I would tend to wait to do them until I had a little practice under my belt if I were you. The first quilt is always the hardest since you're unsure of yourself.

Just remember to relax and enjoy the experience of your first quilt. There are no Quilting Police that will come and take you away if you make a "mistake" here and there. There are no "mistakes". You really meant to make it look like that :D

bearisgray 10-28-2008 06:49 AM

Another way to "locate" where the 1/4 inch seams should be sewn:

I took 1/4 inch graph paper - put it under the presser foot - put the needle through one of the lines - and then looked to see where the edge of the presser foot came in relation to the needle and a quarter line mark on the paper.

I have an older Pfaff and I could move the needle left or right in small increments so I was able to use the edge of my regular presser foot as a guide.

Or in my case, I put the edge of the presser foot on a 1/4 inch line and fiddled with the needle setting until it was "correct"

Mplsgirl 10-28-2008 07:29 AM

Good for you! Welcome from Illinois!

blueribbontoes 10-29-2008 05:47 AM

I laughed when someone above said that there are so such thing as mistakes. I am still a newbie, I started quilting a little over 16 months ago. I made a quilt for my daughter, who incidently is 17 months old. I made the quilt from 6 inch fabric squares that my family, extended and inlaws included, gave me for the quilt. Some squares were from my baby's great great grandmother! Anyhow, I finished the quilt and none of the rows matched up. Not one. It was BAD, but I was still pretty proud. Mismatched, yes, but regardless it was my first effort. I brought it in recently to get quilted, and the lady I hired TOOK apart the quilt and redid it! I was crushed. (it was like taking apart a child's noodle project and straightening the noodles. ) I guess I learned a valueable lesson: practice on something that doesn't have sentimental value! The quilt is now beautiful, but it isn't MY quilt any longer! I guess we all have to start somewhere. Good luck and have fun.

blueribbontoes 10-29-2008 05:49 AM

SORRY for the double post!

bearisgray 10-29-2008 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by blueribbontoes
I laughed when someone above said that there are so such thing as mistakes. I am still a newbie, I started quilting a little over 16 months ago. I made a quilt for my daughter, who incidently is 17 months old. I made the quilt from 6 inch fabric squares that my family, extended and inlaws included, gave me for the quilt. Some squares were from my baby's great great grandmother! Anyhow, I finished the quilt and none of the rows matched up. Not one. It was BAD, but I was still pretty proud. Mismatched, yes, but regardless it was my first effort. I brought it in recently to get quilted, and the lady I hired TOOK apart the quilt and redid it! I was crushed. (it was like taking apart a child's noodle project and straightening the noodles. ) I guess I learned a valueable lesson: practice on something that doesn't have sentimental value! The quilt is now beautiful, but it isn't MY quilt any longer! I guess we all have to start somewhere. Good luck and have fun.

I'm glad you posted this - because there have been times when I've been tempted to "fix" someone else's effort. I'm learning to compliment what I can - maybe the color, the idea, whatever - and keep my mouth shut about the rest. Although if I was the quilter, I am pretty sure I would have asked permission before messing with it - or I would have sent it back and not touched it if it bothered me too much to work on it the way it was.

mary quite contrary 10-29-2008 06:09 AM

How sad that someone messed with your work.

GailG 10-29-2008 06:16 AM

I agree with bearisgray and QuiltinLee about finding that quarter inch. I like the graph paper trick. Will certainly use it. Thanks. You people are just TOO smart. :lol: