Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   newbie question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-question-t44583.html)

DesertNurse41 05-01-2010 05:34 PM

Sorry if this question is silly but I really don't know. Regarding the paper piecing methad, what if anything ,do I need to do to use the pattern without paper piecing?I can't seem to get into the paper but have found so many patterns that I like and would love to do. Thanks for your time

Charlee 05-01-2010 05:42 PM

Not a silly question at all!

You'd either cut the pieces out individually from the paper pattern, and then use those as a pattern for your fabric, making sure when you cut your fabric to leave a seam allowance, or you could trace the pattern pieces onto plastic template and proceed the same way...trace onto your fabric, and then cut with a seam allowance.

Hope that helps! :)

wvdek 05-01-2010 05:44 PM

Hey Charleston!
I'm in Greenbrier county.

Once you get the hang of PPing, you will love it. Give it a try.

AliKat 05-01-2010 05:45 PM

Wow. That's a hard one because the function of paper piecing is to be more precise. Each time you print the pattern it is the same.

Another method might be foundation piecing where you draw the pattern on muslin. this isn't as precise.

Then there is just plain piecing. This is where you figure out each individual piece size, include the seam allowances, and then cut the number you want. Or you can use instructions provided for a pattern, like Turning Twenty. This is what I most often do. When I have an interesting piece I want to do many cuts of and it isn't a usual shape: square, rectangle, etc, I can go to a local plastic company and they'll cut me acryllic templates rather inexpensively.

I often experiment with EQ6 to visualize the overall effect of a pattern or color combination.

Jois 05-01-2010 06:26 PM

I used to take patterns that looked like paper piecing patterns and cut them apart and glue them to the plain side of cereal boxes. The I'd add the seam allowance (draw around the pieces using a see-through ruler) and then cut around with scissors.

Since these pieces were cardboard instead of something stronger I used washable magic marker to trace around the edges and cut with cutters and a real cutter ruler and voila!

Not nearly a accurate and reliable as what I can do now with cutters and rulers but might have saved my sanity then.

I read the directions for paper piecing and hum a little. Seems like I'd be working either blind or backwards so I never really given it a chance. Maybe we both need to practice on simple patterns until it looks easier?

Jois

craftybear 05-01-2010 08:02 PM

nice topic, thanks for all of the cool comments

amma 05-01-2010 10:23 PM

Just be aware that when some PP foundations print out they may be reversed, and you would want to flip them over to use as a template :D:D:D

Jois 05-01-2010 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Just be aware that when some PP foundations print out they may be reversed, and you would want to flip them over to use as a template :D:D:D

And that is another thing I hum about!

Jois

DesertNurse41 05-02-2010 02:23 AM

Thanks for all the help everybody!!! This board is awesome!! Now I don't know what to do. The PP just seems so involved, needing copies for everything. I think I'd run out of ink??? Maybe I will have to give it a try :roll:

Oklahoma Suzie 05-02-2010 05:24 AM

Great info here.