Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie question - what's the best way to launder fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-question-whats-best-way-launder-fabric-t185540.html)

Nokie 04-09-2012 06:15 PM

Newbie question - what's the best way to launder fabric?

I just got back from Hobby Lobby...siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh....and bought my first fat quarter, my first jelly roll, and my first something-else-I-don't-know-what-it-is-cause-I-already-threw-the-tag-away :D and as I'm sitting here sighing and preening over the fabric, I'm wondering - how do I launder this since it's all pre-cut (I know, I know - you're thinking...it's ALL pre-cut Nokie...now be a good girl and put the scissors down and back away sloooowwwlllyyyyyyy from the cutting table...) And much smaller than if I would of bought a yard or 4 of it? I've not had good experience with washing material so far - it came out of the washer looking like I had thrown the cat in with it and they got tangled up together in the spin cycle - so I'm open to suggestions!! I had thought of a mesh bag but I don't have one - thought of a pillow case but how do I keep it closed? Any help is much appreciated!

Scissor Queen 04-09-2012 06:32 PM

I solved the problem around 2006 or so. I quit prewashing. Not a single problem yet.

Pickles 04-09-2012 06:34 PM

Nokie if it is high quality fabric you might get away without washing them but if you do if you have a say old leg from a pair of pantie hose cut it off and put them inside the leg and tie a knot it it and wash that away, I'd wash them in cold water . If it's a pillow case I'd pin it closed with safety pins all the way across.

DogHouseMom 04-09-2012 06:38 PM

I don't buy anything smaller than a FQ for that reason. If you are determined to pre-wash, I would gently hand wash them in the sink in hot water then dry them in a tumble bag.

Nokie 04-09-2012 06:45 PM

Oh...so I don't have to pre-wash? I thought that was the cardinal rule....if it's not a have to I'll skip it!

velvor 04-09-2012 07:03 PM

I only pre-wash fabrics that are going into a baby quilt. This way I can guarantee that it is washable and all the added chemicals are removed. For my own quilts I like the "wrinkled" look when I wash it after everything is complete.

kathdavis 04-09-2012 07:06 PM

I don't prewash at all. If I have to, I wash when it is all done.

jaciqltznok 04-09-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nokie (Post 5129192)
Oh...so I don't have to pre-wash? I thought that was the cardinal rule....if it's not a have to I'll skip it!

it is...but when you buy pre-cuts, you sort of are stuck with whatever you get in the end...just pray nothing bleeds, and that you are not going to have an allergic reaction to the chemicals on the fabric!

tjradj 04-09-2012 07:22 PM

I've never prewashed anything except flannel. If I ever wanted to prewash a jelly roll, I'd give my head a shake. For the price I'd have paid for precuts, I wouldn't want to risk it. I could have bought yardage and prewashed that without fear. Besides, I like the cuddly look my quilts get when I wash them once they're complete.

GrannieAnnie 04-09-2012 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nokie (Post 5129128)
I just got back from Hobby Lobby...siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh....and bought my first fat quarter, my first jelly roll, and my first something-else-I-don't-know-what-it-is-cause-I-already-threw-the-tag-away :D and as I'm sitting here sighing and preening over the fabric, I'm wondering - how do I launder this since it's all pre-cut (I know, I know - you're thinking...it's ALL pre-cut Nokie...now be a good girl and put the scissors down and back away sloooowwwlllyyyyyyy from the cutting table...) And much smaller than if I would of bought a yard or 4 of it? I've not had good experience with washing material so far - it came out of the washer looking like I had thrown the cat in with it and they got tangled up together in the spin cycle - so I'm open to suggestions!! I had thought of a mesh bag but I don't have one - thought of a pillow case but how do I keep it closed? Any help is much appreciated!

I prewash yardage, but I'd never attempt to wash precuts, except fat quarters