Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newspaper used as batting in a vintage quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newspaper-used-batting-vintage-quilt-t91826.html)

jbronston 01-22-2011 01:49 AM

Remember that newspaper used to have a high rag content and was much more durable than what it is printed on today. Available & cheap, it was used for insulating in a lot of projects.

The floors in our old farm house had knot holes and I remember dropping anything that would fit through them into the cellar. Then Mom spoiled the fun by putting down cheap linoleum.

Snappy 01-22-2011 11:07 AM

I grandma also used to sew an extra layer of flannel on the top of her quilts. She called them "chin rests" and when the flannel wore out she sewed a new one on. Each of my kids still have those chin rest quilts, they are 30 years old and a couple of them are soon going to need new "chin rests". Everyone stories are so wonderful and amazing to hear. People were so resourceful back in the day.

illinois 01-22-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Snappy
I grandma also used to sew an extra layer of flannel on the top of her quilts. She called them "chin rests" and when the flannel wore out she sewed a new one on. Each of my kids still have those chin rest quilts, they are 30 years old and a couple of them are soon going to need new "chin rests". Everyone stories are so wonderful and amazing to hear. People were so resourceful back in the day.

I have heard that those "protectors" were also of use with households where the men had long beards. The whiskers were hard on the fabrics so they added a little protection there.

TN Donna 01-22-2011 12:57 PM

My aunt redid an old house once where they had used newspaper under the wall paper for warmth. I never saw a quilt with it though.

drgranny 01-23-2011 11:49 AM

I was reading an article about sashiko? quilting. It told how the chinese people, the peasants, put layers of paper inside the clothes that they wore to work outside. It was quilted into the jackets and pants just like quilts.

biscuitqueen 01-23-2011 11:53 AM

The inside wall of my house were insulated with corn cobs. You'd think the mice would move in lol they never did.

moms_pantry 02-13-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
Yes!!! My father-in-law told me about quilts his mother made. They called it "filling" because it filled the quilt (batting is a relatively new term....since we buy and use batting) for warmth. They used anything available including newspaper, feathers, horsehair, straw and even ground corn cobs. They really didn't wash the quilts but would shake them out and hang them on a clothesline in the sun freshen them.

My FIL was born in 1906 and his mother in the 1800's. He would tell stories about he and his brothers having to lay very still because there wasn't always enough quilting to keep the filling in place...it would shift to one spot and they would wake up cold!!!

Thank you for allowing me to ramble and recall fond memories of my beloved father-in-law.

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing.