Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Next Project for 2015 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/next-project-2015-a-t258840.html)

Damkina 12-28-2014 10:29 AM

The Next Project for 2015

Hi, however you celebrate, I hope everyone has had a lovely time and found some of that precious time to get some quilting done.

I honestly can't believe that during the last year, I've actually finished all my quilts and cushions and they've all gone to their loving new homes, the last one I finished binding about 12 o'clock Christmas Eve, to then wrap and take to my sisters house on Christmas morning. I didn't think I'd manage it.
Just one last Help4Heroes Quilt raffle prize for a Military fundraising in July is all I have left to do.
So what did I start a few weeks ago? Designing my own again from scratch! (rolls eyes) Something I said I wouldn't ever contemplate for a long time. But, it's gone from a cushion, to a small wall hanging, to end up as this monster of a wall hanging spread out on the dining room table with the actual picture at 28 x 60 inches long. It'll have to hang on the stairs wall when it's done.
It's a Mermaid and Merman with a Celtic flavour in the style from "Elaine Hamer's Drawing and Painting Mermaids.". I love the design, but I'm now in a pickle as to how to make it... I was thinking of doing it as Redwork (in blue) but keep thinking of felt as i belive it needs colour, either on the marbled cotton i already have, or doing the whole in felt, which I have never used before.
Would mix of felt for the skin etc blend well with 100%cotton appliqué? Also, I'm going to need a good pen/pencil etc to transfer the embroidery lines for the faces and Celtic knots and have heard of Websters Sulky transfer pen. Has anyone used this pen? Is the nib fine and does it do it's job?

Anyone else have a new project in mind for the New Year?

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Joanne

Nammie to 7 12-28-2014 10:40 AM

I want to make a medallion style quilt for my grandson. The center will be a t-shirt with his name on the list of All Stars and the team emblem. The rest I will figure out as I go along. I too finished all my projects -- the last one was bound Christmas Eve. But I was able to help two granddaughter's with sewing projects so it was fine to put mine off til the last minute.

Dolphyngyrl 12-28-2014 12:13 PM

A couple craftsy quilts and my daughters quilt as well

Cari-in-Oly 12-28-2014 12:55 PM

I finished my gifts on Christmas day after they were opened, lol. I made pjs for all the guys, but didn't put the elastic in the waist until I had the guys in front of me to measure for it. While my girls were cooking dinner I was sewing elastic into waist bands. At least I didn't have to cook ROTFL.

Cari

Gramie bj 12-28-2014 01:06 PM

Still working on UFO's if I get one a month finished I should be caught up by Sept. 2015, 3 finished tops ready to go on my LA, and 5 tops to finish. In the last week I got 3 tops on and off my LA, just an over all meander on all of them so did not take long, even got the binding on them all. I think that will only leave the UFO's that I am still collecting fabric for but haven't really started on. Are they even considered UFO's or are they still on my bucket list? I could a this point decide not to make them and return the fabric to my stash, nothing I cut.

MaryKatherine 12-28-2014 01:26 PM

Well I'm almost ready to start two separate challenge quilts One for our local quilt show in May and one for the CQA show in Lethbridge in June. Gotta get the nerve to cut the required fabric.

KwiltyKahy 12-28-2014 01:52 PM

What a great idea. Measuring usually keeps me from making things like that. And abonus, you didn't have to cook. Win, win.!!!

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 7024462)
I finished my gifts on Christmas day after they were opened, lol. I made pjs for all the guys, but didn't put the elastic in the waist until I had the guys in front of me to measure for it. While my girls were cooking dinner I was sewing elastic into waist bands. At least I didn't have to cook ROTFL.

Cari

jeanne49 12-28-2014 03:22 PM

I have too many UFO's and have decided that I will be finishing some to donate to Project Linus. I have contacted the coordinator in my area and also the one for the Phila. area. I do believe that I can downsize my stack of tops and feel good about where they are going.

Edie 12-30-2014 03:40 AM

I have been saving Jelly Rolls for the past two years and also charm packs to make a strip quilt for the bedroom. A nice big one so it can be used as a quilt and bedspread. I have one quilt to finish, one quilt to make and then I am going to do the strip quilt. After that is done (probably two years - only kidding - I want to start on my Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt. The strip quilt will be done in shades of pink and teal with some brown (matches the furniture). I am really excited to start on it. Not sure on how I am going to get it matched, or maybe it is not supposed to be lined up in order. Haven't figured that out yet. But I know it is going to be a quick easy quilt and fun to watch get put together.

Right now I think my most important project is to get all my fabric in order and I haven't figured out how I am going to do that yet. "Inch by inch, life's a cinch - Yard by yard, it is hard." So, I'll just take my time, get it right, get everything labeled on the outside of drawers, boxes, etc., so I know where everything is. That's the way I like to do my stuff - Label, label, label!!!!!

Happy New Year everyone! Edie

Aurora 12-30-2014 04:27 AM

I use a Pigma .01 brown marker to transfer lines for embroidery. It isn't really dark, but visible and is easily covered with stitches. I have to order mine on line because no one on the back roads of Kentucky carries them. I frequently order more than one at a time -- just in case, you know.