Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Next Project For A Beginner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/next-project-beginner-t70401.html)

EmsMom 10-15-2010 08:48 PM

Hi everyone,

I just finished by first quilt a week or so ago (it was a rag quilt). I know very little about quilting. I figured a rag quilt was a good quilt to start with as it seemed pretty simple.

I am wondering what my next project should be..... The only quilting experience I have is the rag quilt. I am trying to learn as much as I can online, etc. I am just stumped on what I should try next . . . maybe just another rag quilt . . . . what would you suggest?

Thanks!

sharon b 10-15-2010 08:51 PM

It just depends on what you want to try next :lol: I would still keep it on the easier side :wink: Who will this quilt be for ? and..

CONGRATS on finishing your first quilt :lol:

slk350 10-15-2010 08:59 PM

one of my first quilts was a log cabin from the Quilt in a Day book...Eleanor Burns

mmonohon 10-15-2010 09:01 PM

I would try a basic nine patch. They are easy and great practice.

MadQuilter 10-15-2010 09:03 PM

Triple Rail Fence is a nice and easy pattern.

Quiltforme 10-15-2010 09:10 PM

I would get some magazines I just picked up one from QFC called Best Weekend Quilts it is a premier issue I have never seen it but it has a lot of very easy to do quick quilts. I will be making quiet a few of these quilts. It was $10 more than I would normally pay but I was not paying attention. I can send you a pic of the front I would really try that route.

RkayD 10-15-2010 09:15 PM

Don't forget to check out your local library. And don't be afeared to try anything! But keep it on the simple side..the worst thing I ever did was pick a project that was way over my head and then I was afraid to finish it because I wasn't quite sure what I'd done wrong...(1/4" seams) and you need that instant success! A wall hanging maybe? Try something with triangles! When you get that down there is really no fear!

Linda71 10-15-2010 09:20 PM

Try paper piecing. Easy. Lots of patterns on line. Try Quilter's cache for free patterns.

karenm36 10-15-2010 09:22 PM

If you have a LQS nearby they may be of help. I've only made one quilt but part of it's success was that I told the woman helping me what my skill level was and so she helped me pick out a pattern that matched that and it also had great directions. I had brought my focus fabric with me so she also helped me pick coordinating fabrics. She also gave me some pointers as I went along...and bingo...a lap quilt done...and I couldn't have been happier. I'm working on my second quilt and it's a nine patch with the sashing done in 3 piece strips with corner posts at each intersection. GREAT practice for mastering the 1/4 inch seam and getting all the pieces the same size! Good luck! This quilting sure is fun and is becoming quite addictive! Sew much fabric...sew little time! ;-)

carolaug 10-16-2010 01:25 AM

I have a few free very easy quits on my blog with video tutorial...I also am very new at quilting. I love, love the disappearing nine patch.