Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   the next time I want to do a quilt using denim... slap me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/next-time-i-want-do-quilt-using-denim-slap-me-t160438.html)

Rhaorth 10-14-2011 02:16 PM

then take away the denim...
oh my gosh... this stuff is hard to work with (especially being I am new to quilting and the sewing machine)
needless to say the corners are not even, and the fabrics seemed to want to do their own thing.... soooo I got it to 8 squares by 9 squares (a nice lap sized quilt) and showed son today, and told him, this is as big as it gets... he said ok hehe

Thank you to all of those who helped with the purple fabric... the rest of it will go to good use, as I plan to make both of them twin sized regular quilts for their beds... probably a 9block or something easier than this denim LOL (and I will learn to machine quilt too!)

now to do the snipping and fray the edges for the rag one.

barri1 10-14-2011 02:22 PM

I can relate to being out of mind making denim quilts... I just finished two.. Wonky is the word tp describe them.. Not again!!!!
Barri

Rhaorth 10-14-2011 02:24 PM

barri that is what I am saying too, not again. I will do throw pillows, but not a quilt, dang denim just too weird to work with.

I have made the little tissue holders (non denim) and it is just so much fun being able to sew with material that stays where I put it, presses easy, etc. So I have a feeling making quilt blocks on the machine will be an enjoyable experience.

I guess doing the denim stuff gives me something not so much fun to relate to hehe

Glassquilt 10-14-2011 02:33 PM

I hear you. The only time I used denim on a quilt was as backing for a wall quilt. It was a crazy quilt made by ladies at the Meeting using all types of fabric. I figured the denim would give support and be easy on the blocks.

Barb44 10-14-2011 03:07 PM

I must be weird because I didn't think denim was any harder to work with - just heavier. The only thing I didn't like was cutting squares from all those odd pieces of used denim.

tsnana2000 10-14-2011 03:12 PM

I've never tried to use denim for a quilt. I probably never will flannel can be hard enough. lol

Rhaorth 10-14-2011 03:30 PM

maybe it is because I am new to quilting, or maybe it is my machine is not a heavy duty one (at least not to my knowledge hehe)

I found it difficult as in the denim would stretch when stitching and the woven would not... one way it would not stretch the other it would...

ah well, son likes it so far, still need to snip and fray... I am happy even though it is not perfect

Rhaorth 10-14-2011 03:33 PM

I am thinking for their quilts for the beds, I am going to make the card trick blocks, I really like how that looks.

deedum 10-14-2011 03:58 PM

I made my son a denium lap quilt a few yrs ago for Christmas, my first ever quilt. Omg, what was I thinking! To make it even worse, I added batting and flannel for the backing. It weighs a ton and it is only large lap size. He walks thru the quilting room and seen me making it, having no idea it was him. He said " I want you to make me one of these in a queen size".
I still laugh about that, but when the power goes out or it is freezing outside, he sure loves it!

Susanna10 10-14-2011 04:05 PM

Denim is very heavy to work with if you make a very big quilt like I did.