Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   NICU Blankets - Anyone with experience? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/nicu-blankets-anyone-experience-t44855.html)

Butterflyblue 05-03-2010 07:58 PM

I have heard about small quilts that can be put on top of the incubators in NICU, but never seen one in person or made one.

A friend just had a baby several months premature (I just found out about it tonight) and I would like to make her one.

Is there anyone here who can tell me what the specifications are, or point me to instructions online?

Thank you so much. I'd like to get started as soon as possible.

I go To The Sea To Breathe 05-03-2010 08:08 PM

there is a web site blankets for preemies(?)

wvdek 05-03-2010 08:10 PM

Go to the top of this page to the SEARCH and type in NICU blankets. Lots of threads will pop up.

Butterflyblue 05-03-2010 08:24 PM

Thanks.

amma 05-03-2010 09:24 PM

You may want to contact the hospital's ICU, some prefer certain sizes, others just use small baby blanket sizes and fold them to fit. One hospital requested that they have buttons holes in certain spots, they use a band of some sort to help hold them in place.

sewcrafty 05-04-2010 03:02 AM

Usually they premie quilts are no larger than 24x24. I would use cotton or low loft batting. Sometime with premie quilts, since they are soo small they become wallhangings afterwards. Otherwise, just quilt as normal.

Oklahoma Suzie 05-04-2010 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by amma
You may want to contact the hospital's ICU, some prefer certain sizes, others just use small baby blanket sizes and fold them to fit. One hospital requested that they have buttons holes in certain spots, they use a band of some sort to help hold them in place.

yes, see what size the hospital will want.

pstoner 05-04-2010 05:09 AM

try project linus, they have instructions for preemie blankets, sleepwear, snakes and etc. Search for them on the internet and it will bring up their home page which has a link to the patterns.

Butterflyblue 05-04-2010 05:56 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my questions. I think the best option is for me to call and talk to someone at the NICU, since all of the information I've found varies.

I was thinking something like 24" by 24" would be good, and I have an idea for a rainbow trip around the world that I think would be cute and not take too much time to make. Small, but afterwards it could be a burp cloth or wallhanging, whatever. I just want it to be used.

Butterflyblue 05-04-2010 07:51 AM

I called the hospital information desk and they put me through to the NICU. I'm glad I called, because they said the ones they use are about 36" by 48", and that they must be washed and double rinsed, but basically they're not picky about anything but that. The larger size will be more useful in the long run, I think (take longer to outgrow), so that's good.