Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No Batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-batting-t106795.html)

Crafty Lady in WA 03-11-2011 06:34 AM

Does anyone ever make quilts with no batting, Just using fleece or flannel for backing and tie instead of quilting? This is what I do and curious if anyone else does.

May in Jersey 03-11-2011 06:38 AM

I make many kids sized quilts from string blocks, the strings are sewn on a netural foundation and that makes them pretty heavy. I feel that adding batting would make the quilt too heavy for a child so I back the top with flannel. May in Jersey

katiescraftshop 03-11-2011 06:40 AM

I do! I make alot of these for children. They stand up to a tremendous amount of washing and tugging.

I sometimes worry that batting will tear when they are loading there stuff or each other on them and dragging them around the house. (I have boys)

I also tend to like the look of a tied quilt. It reminds me of the one my mom would make. I also sometimes tie with yarn rather than floss for a different look.

magnolia 03-11-2011 06:42 AM

I have made several quilts-most kids quilts-one large lap quilt with fleece as batting and backing, but I quilted with my machine. The fleece is very easy to quilt on (with a machine). I don't sew by hand so I'm not sure how it would work with tying it.

katiescraftshop 03-11-2011 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I make many kids sized quilts from string blocks, the strings are sewn on a netural foundation and that makes them pretty heavy. I feel that adding batting would make the quilt too heavy for a child so I back the top with flannel. May in Jersey

I like this idea and have tons of scraps from the I Spys I'm currently working on. May have to put this on my "Future Try List" If you don't mind my stealing your idea. :lol:

littlehud 03-11-2011 06:54 AM

I made one for my SIL with fleece backing and no batting. It's plenty warm without the batting. He loves it.

Tinabodina 03-11-2011 06:56 AM

I have made quilts using old wool blankets also. I have also done like you.

Crafty Lady in WA 03-11-2011 07:00 AM

i tie with yarn as well unless i don't have a matching color, then i'll use 6 strands of embroidery floss

Originally Posted by magnolia
I have made several quilts-most kids quilts-one large lap quilt with fleece as batting and backing, but I quilted with my machine. The fleece is very easy to quilt on (with a machine). I don't sew by hand so I'm not sure how it would work with tying it.

Crafty Lady in WA 03-11-2011 07:03 AM

I check GOODWILL alot for wool blankets, fleece or flannel. CHEAP!

Originally Posted by Tinabodina
I have made quilts using old wool blankets also. I have also done like you.

Kathios 03-11-2011 07:08 AM

I often received quilts without batting from Project Linus volunteers. Most are nice and warm. There was an occasion where a very thin top was married to a very thin backing, and it was not warm enough, so I took it apart and fixed it.