Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No more items needed for Joplin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-items-needed-joplin-t130216.html)

Sewing in Charlotte 06-13-2011 11:58 AM

Hi
The quilt guild in Joplin will no longer need any more items to be shipped to them. They have received so much that they have no place to put it. There is still a great need for monetary donations for many of the people in Joplin but please do not send any more items.
Thank you very much
Deb

Painiacs 06-13-2011 12:05 PM

That's wonderful so many donated!!!yay! My cousin just took semi of donated items there!!!

charity-crafter 06-13-2011 12:06 PM

Hopefully it was all things they could use.

It's so sad how people will send the strangest things to disaster victims. I read that evening gowns, prom dresses and winter coats were sent to Katrina survivors.

MellieKQuilter 06-13-2011 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter

It's so sad how people will send the strangest things to disaster victims. I read that evening gowns, prom dresses and winter coats were sent to Katrina survivors.

But... High School kid will still have Proms to go to and other formal events. A lot of times these are borrowed from others, and those things get wiped out. Also, even tho a winter coat may not be necessary at the time, it may be in the future? Although I agree... I think that finding out what the need is should be top priority. :)

charity-crafter 06-13-2011 12:21 PM

The documentary/news thingy I was watching was talking about how at the beginning of a disaster things like this are a nuisance because organizations have to find space to store it all until it can be used. And they have to pay for storage many times or pay to send it away.

Once things are more organized, people have a roof over their heads, food on the table and clean water then prom dresses become fun again.

Sewing in Charlotte 06-13-2011 12:22 PM

I think people mean well with what they send but it is interesting to see what you receive. You must go thru it before sending it out and decide what is best to send a long distance.

suebee 06-13-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter

Oh my God - that is just rotten. Some people just dont THINK - UGH!!!

Ramona Byrd 06-13-2011 01:19 PM

Just bought a pair of boots at the farm supply, and they were getting together a bunch of things for Joplin. These were more practical things, from hammers/ tools and someone had even put in a big power circle saw!!! That is being practical!!! They left last week, the stuff should be in the hands of Joplin residents by now.

I should think they would need money sent to folks near there, maybe to be spent at used furniture stores or medical supply stores, etc.

Makes me wonder how many other countries we have spent so many billions of dollars on will or have sent anything at all to US.

MoMiMi 06-13-2011 05:04 PM

I live 75 miles from Joplin and traveled there for a work day with a group from church. We worked all day sorting clothes. I've never seen so many clothes in my life !!!!
We had several displaced people come by and pick out items they needed. Some people who came by lost everything, some people's houses were fine but lost their place of employment. All situations..........please continue to keep them in your prayers. Oh by the way, we sorted all the winter items and boxed them up for the fall. I'm sure there will be a need then too.

BellaBoo 06-13-2011 07:21 PM

Donating pre paid cards or your time to really help with the clean up is what is needed the most.