Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Quilting Purchases!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-quilting-purchases-t140193.html)

kedougou 07-25-2011 01:12 PM

I'm with the cash only camp. Each month I put my quilting budget in the envelope and when it is gone it's gone. Ideally, you don't spend money from other envelopes on quilting (I have been guilty of taking from the entertainment budget).....hmmmm quilting counts as entertainment right?

It also helps to only buy what you need for the project at hand. I don't like using july money on a project that I'm not going to start until the fall. Remember their will always be another sale.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-25-2011 01:15 PM

The online sales are a killer for me!!! In this heat I'm content to stay home but getting online......... and on top of it everyone on the board tells me where the latest sale is, shame on all of you!!! LOL :D

sall 07-25-2011 01:18 PM

I am cutting down on my fabric buying. I have made recently two lap quilts for my good friends, and three quilts for Linus. I am in the process of cutting out another lap quilt for an 80th birthday present. ALL OF THIS OUT OF MY STASH. I have not had to buy batting or backing so far, but now I have run out of batting. I,and a friend are keeping a book on what we spend this year on our quilting hobby So this is making me think first as to whether I need it or not, before I purchase.

Glassquilt 07-25-2011 01:19 PM

I do not look at adds.
I do not open the emails.
I do not go near any fabric.

I eat a lot of chocolate.

Amythyst02 07-25-2011 01:22 PM

I made myself promise not to buy any more fabric because I am saving for a new machine. And if I want the machine, I cannot buy more fabric to sit around and take up space. So...I am trying. However, its really hard when all of you post such wonderful fabrics for sale !!!!!!!!!!! These boards are my worse downfall, lol.

But I love them.

LyndaOH 07-25-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
I do not look at adds.
I do not open the emails.
I do not go near any fabric.

I eat a lot of chocolate.

That is hysterical!

I have really cut down what I'm buying since prices are so insane. I absolutely refuse to buy unless the price is less than $5/yard for quilt shop quality. That limits my buying a lot!

I like your suggestions, though. I'm no longer going to save any JF coupons or even look at the flyers. I think I'll unsubscribe from their mailing list.

I go to a retreat twice a year sponsored by a nearby quilt shop and what I've been doing is limiting what I can spend at the retreat to the change we save at our house. That keeps me in check when everyone else is going crazy during our special shopping hours.

quiltsillysandi 07-25-2011 01:29 PM

If you can afford it, and it makes you happy, then by all means happy shopping...Being a breast cancer survivor, I'm very much in tune with that saying "we only go around once"....Soooooo.....Shop til you "quilt"......:)

San

marknfran 07-25-2011 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
HELP!!! I am SOOOOOOO over budget in my quilting related purchases this month, and my trip to Joann's sure didnt help. (but I did get camo fabric for the bbq apron for my bf, fabric to make a purse, and interfacing for three purses, fabric for a four patch posey and materials for my WIP Dresden Plate Block quilt, and lots of thread and some quilt clamps).

My question to you is how do you stop!! I see something that I just have to have, since who knows if it will be there later! I just need to stop LOOKING. :) Which is IMPOSSIBLE. :):)

Any thoughts QB friends?

I have the fever! :lol: Keep finding and buying fabric and yet am so slow and way behind in creating any items....except I finally made four pincushions....could do that sitting in my lazyboy watching my favorite shows. :thumbup:

carolaug 07-25-2011 01:32 PM

One thing that I have started doing is use one of the 50 percent off coupon if I go to Joannes...I only buy one thing....it really has helped! I try not to buy on line...though I have a few time on Keepsakes quilt shop. But really...I do not need anymore fabric....My closet it full.

marknfran 07-25-2011 01:37 PM

I thought fabric prices were high! However, yesterday I bought a beef roast and it cost $5.49 a lb...and that was the cheaper price.....even their pork chops were $4.79 a pound. Where have I been? We finally used up the roast we bought on sale and froze.....it was $1.99 a lb.....pork chops frozen, one pkg left, was $2.49 lb. Gotta tighten our belts!!!! With the drought and cattle going to market, do you think beef prices will go down?