Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Non quilter with a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/non-quilter-question-t213958.html)

kassy360 02-16-2013 06:05 AM

Non quilter with a question

I have an amazing quilt let just say I obtained from a hotel chain probebly 25 years ago now. It's a king size and I double it and put it just on my half of a full bed and the beadspread goes over it so no one sees it really. It's not even pretty but It's so heavy I can barely move under it (which I love) and so warm I just can't part with it. After 25 years of wash and wear it's starting to show it's age. I have looked at quilts hoping to replace it but have found nothing that compares to it. Down comforters are out since I am allergic to feathers. I have for now put it in a cheap duvet cover trying to preserve it but since it's a doubled king dosn't fit in a duvet correctly and despite all my pinning and sewing inside the duvet it shifts all over. Any suggestions? As a non sewing person how tough would it be to make a duvet to properly fit? Is there a certain kind of quilt I should be looking for that is real heavy? Or is there something I don't know about that might replace my old friend in weight?

Lori S 02-16-2013 06:38 AM

You can use the quilt as the batting for a new quilt. Back when.. often there were mulitple layers of quilt tops and backs on the same quilt. Depending on the fiber content and density a long arm quilter may be able to apply the new top ( it can be just a single cut of fabric) and backing . and quilt it so it can lay flat. Depending on the colors of the quilt you have .. it may restrict what your color choices are for a new covering and backing , so the old does not show through. What are the measurements of the quilt.
A photo would help in guiding you.

patchsamkim 02-16-2013 06:54 AM

Without seeing it, hard to see just why it isn't staying secure in the duvet cover. I think I would try putting ties inside all 4 corners of the duvet, and ties onto the 4 corners of the quilt, and then tie the quilt inside the duvet cover. If it needs more securing, you could add ties, maybe every 10" to keep it in place. Good luck!

Dina 02-16-2013 07:01 AM

If I am reading this right, your quilt shifts inside the duvet cover, no matter what you have done. I can't, however, tell if you have tried pinning all the way through all layers. I would think that would work, say every ten inches to keep it in place, like patchsamkin suggested. If the pins (safety pins) held it in place, then I would get some strong thread and large needle and sew several times where each pin is.

I have only tried using a duvet cover once, and it fit my quilt, but it still shifted on me. There is just something about a duvet cover that I didn't quite catch, I guess. In which case, I haven't been a bit of help, huh? :)

At any rate, I wish you success. You will find more suggestions to come, I am sure.

Dina

BellaBoo 02-16-2013 07:21 AM

If you use the quilt for the heaviness of it you can buy a weighted blanket that will serve the same purpose.

kassy360 02-16-2013 08:03 AM

The quilt is a king folded in half.. I bought a double / full duvet. Perhaps a single would have been a better fit. The quilt inside dosn't even reach the edges of the duvet when attached on 1 side. It is in fact sewed about every 8-10" into the duvet at this point praying it would help it stay put but I don't see it helping much. The width of the duvet is about 4 inches wider then the quilt when doubled.

thimblebug6000 02-16-2013 08:10 AM

If you live near a quilt shop or fabric store, why don't you take it in there & see if there is a person who does custom sewing. If might cost you more than trying to do it yourself, but it would save alot of frustration. Even if you post what area you are in here on the forum, we may have a member close by who would be interested in helping you.

charsuewilson 02-16-2013 10:58 AM

You could make your own duvet cover by buying 2 sheets the same size as the quilt, and sewing them together. Be sure to leave at least 1/3 of the bottom open to get the quilt in and out.

Pinkiris 02-16-2013 12:38 PM

A cover (duvet) can be made out of sheets. The top of a king sized mattress is equal to 2 XL twins. I learned this when researching split king mattresses. If your duvet is too wide for your folded quilt, how about running a straight seam up one side of it to make it more narrow? Then I would do the pinning that Dina suggested and then sew at those places if it stays as you want it.

Andii 02-16-2013 01:11 PM

For the weight of it that you like a denim quilt would be great.