Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Non-quilters Have No Ideal about Time..Sheeeeeeeesh. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/non-quilters-have-no-ideal-about-time-sheeeeeeeesh-t107576.html)

cctx. 03-14-2011 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Don't you just wave your magic wand? ? ? ?

Yeah, Debbie or twitch your little nose.....

mom-6 03-14-2011 09:34 AM

Why do people think that we can whip something up in nothing flat? Yeah, I have done when I forgot somebody's birthday until the last minute, but that was my choice (and I did a pillow not a full sized quilt), not someone else's crisis.

We used to have a sign that said "Your failure to plan does not constitute my emergency" at the order desk for the print shop of the office supply I worked for.

Maia B 03-14-2011 09:58 AM

Sadly, the overwhelming majority of non-quilters "just don't get it". I've also been asked to make a t-shirt quilt, by a coworker that KNOWS what I earn at work and how busy my life is. Ha! I have plenty of my own projects, thank you. Cheap, mass-produced clothes and bedding have destroyed any understanding the public might have about what it takes to make these things on a home machine. I've rarely heard of such a request involving a payment that approaches minimum wage. They want couture work at sweatshop prices and faster than online vendors even monogram items. You said it, SHEESH!

debbieumphress 03-14-2011 10:10 AM

Well, if I did this for a living, I would be scrambling and glad I got the orders. Or if I even had time. True quilter here, I have two swaps to get ready for, 3 repairs for others in the works, one handquilting one for a lady, clening my sewing room, not to mention two guild meetings coming up, a board meeting for a guild, and project linus. I love to stay busy. And this is even slowing down the last few months. I can't do as much as I used to. Didn't mean to sound mean about her needs, just never ceases to amaze me. Adn t-shirt quilts are fun but take time. Thanks for letting me vent.

debbieumphress 03-14-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by cctx.

More like "Don't make me get out my flying monkeys.....aaaaaaaaaaaahahahhaaaaaaa"

GagaSmith 03-14-2011 11:55 AM

You are cracking me up! So funny.

echobluff 03-14-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress

Originally Posted by cctx.

More like "Don't make me get out my flying monkeys.....aaaaaaaaaaaahahahhaaaaaaa"

Stop, stop...my sides hurt!!! ROFLMAO!!!

michelehuston 03-14-2011 12:14 PM

Oh my gosh, I can't stop laughing!! Flying monkeys..that is so awesome!!! Next time someone says make me (free of course) anything made out of clothes I think My flying monkeys will be flying along with yours!! rofl

Renoquilting 03-14-2011 12:53 PM

It took me a while to learn this--I never make quilts "on request" from friends, nor do I make them for money. Adds too much stress and takes the fun out of my hobby (well, okay passion might be a better word than hobby) I do make quilts for special people in my life, but it has to be my idea.

Lobster 03-14-2011 02:01 PM

I wouldn't bother passing her on to someone else: if she drastically underestimates the time/amount of labour involved, I imagine the price tag she's thinking of is equally low.