Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not Enough Fabric in a Kit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-enough-fabric-kit-t220242.html)

Boston1954 04-28-2013 06:39 PM

Not Enough Fabric in a Kit

For some time I have resisted buying a kit because I worried that there would not be enough fabric. I absolutely cannot get one piece to fit. I've turned it every way I can. No dice. I emailed the place I bought it from. Will they make it good?

I can just go into my stash an try to find something close.

auntpiggylpn 04-28-2013 06:52 PM

I had this problem with 2 identical kits; shorted the same fabric in both. I called the reputable online store and they didn't have any more of the fabric in stock. They did however direct me to call Robert Kaufman as the quilt kits had come pre made from them and I was told if RK couldn't help me they would find the fabric for me online and ship it to me free of charge. RK came thru without a problem and they actually sent me 2 yards of the fabric.

Nammie to 7 04-28-2013 06:55 PM

That is also a fear of mine when buying kits. I have a bad habit of putting the item away for several years so by the time I would figure out there was an issue it would be way too late to do anything about it.

Patchworkmarion 04-28-2013 06:59 PM

It's happened to me a couple of times. Also with BOMs

Monika 04-28-2013 07:01 PM

I'm so sorry!!! Hopefully you will have a good outcome to this. I actually do a lot of kits and have never had a problem. Clearly lucky. Of course, still have some in the closet, hope my luck holds!

quilterCDN 04-28-2013 07:08 PM

This has happened to me. Only it was a kit that a friend had purchased and paid me to piece the quilt. There were problems with the instructions as they did not match with the picture. I did email the designer and she really didn't seem to care too much. I ended up digging into my stash to complete the quilt.

GingerK 04-29-2013 02:35 AM

I had that problem too and was furious since the kit clearly stated the amount of yardage of each fabric included. I was shorted a total of a meter and one piece was not big enough to use at all. The company I bought it from, never bothered to respond to my emails and I have never bought from them again.

sweetana3 04-29-2013 02:42 AM

One reason I never ever throw away a scrap. Once I needed two pieces and made some "new fabric" out of the scraps. I cannot even see the seams in the top.

In one kit from a garage sale, I was missing one block from a BOM. I made the rest and figured I would have to do scrappy applique at the end. I had an assortment of fabric left so I contacted the Fat Quarter Shop and they sent me the pattern for the old BOM. I used other fabric from the kit and stretched it.

If a border was short, I might try an asymmetrical addition or even find a solid that would work.

NOTE: I never buy full price kits but only on ebay or garage sales/estate sales. So I have no recourse but don't pay much and figure the fabric is what I am buying and the kit feature is extra.

deedum 04-29-2013 03:54 AM

Yes, I for short on a kit also. Luckily a friend had the same one. Makes me a bit shy of buying them. I like extra material my way.

nhweaver 04-29-2013 04:01 AM

So far I have not been shorted in a kit. But the directions can leave out steps, or be totally confusing. I am finding the same thing with quilt books lately. It seems that the customer is now "the editor". I dislike this very much.