Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-happy-my-first-art-quilt-attempt-t123267.html)

jolo 05-16-2011 04:43 AM

It is pretty, I think I would make the large mountain a little darker,and also the grass. I think in comparing the picture and your quilt that is what grabs me the most.I do scenic quilts also and the contrast and depth is what gives me the most trouble . Find just the right fabric. I also have a darker amd shorter grass fabric.

damaquilts 05-16-2011 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher

Originally Posted by Hinterland
I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet

Thank you . . .that's good feedback. It does seem like there is too much going on. As I look at what others have done, I'm thinking they might choose one texture, and then the rest is pretty plain--just the shapes and the differences in light.

And thank you all for your kind comments. But really, I'm not fishing for compliments. I'm trying to figure out what's bothering me about it. It's hard working alone in one's sewing room and trying to be objective about one's work. Usually I'm not highly self-critical, but this is not turning out as well as I envisioned it.

I haven't read all the answers yet but my first impression was the wall stands out too much. I think once you get in there with some thread you can tone it down a bit and you will like it better. Keep going and use it as a learning experience. There is no rule that say you HAVE to hang this one or that you can't make another that you like better using the lessons you have learned doing this.

quiltmom04 05-16-2011 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet

I agree. you have a great talent for getting the details right, but the interpretations are a bit too literal. But you sure are on the right track!

sandpat 05-16-2011 04:57 AM

I think you are doing a great job on it so far....you are afterall just learning! I agree with the other comments here about the mountain on the left being a bit light...and to me the flower pot at the back of the house is a bit close in value to the house...it all seems to run together, BUT..that will be taken care of with thread when you get further along. Stop beating yourself up before you are done. These things take time! :D:

maggiek 05-16-2011 04:58 AM

Add some threat painting to soften the edges of the fabrics and it will be fabulous.

Neena 05-16-2011 05:04 AM

I think it is looking great. You are consistent in your interpretation of the photo...so keep going! Remember..there is no right or wrong, it is your art quilt.

sewnsewer2 05-16-2011 05:08 AM

OMG what aren't you happy with? I think it looks GREAT!! Finish it, it may change how you feel about it.

ThreadsNfiber 05-16-2011 05:20 AM

It's wonderful!!!
I would reverse your sky/hill colors, give the sky the white/blue and the hill the dark purple/blue color.

ThreadsNfiber 05-16-2011 05:20 AM

It's wonderful!!!
I would reverse your sky/hill colors, give the sky the white/blue and the hill the dark purple/blue color.

SandyMac 05-16-2011 05:21 AM

That is so great.How can you not be impressed with yourself.Just wish I could create like that.