Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-happy-my-first-art-quilt-attempt-t123267.html)

Dina 05-15-2011 11:36 AM

I know you are not fishing for compliments, but this is beautiful.

MamaBear61 05-15-2011 11:36 AM

I think it looks lovely so far and I am sure that once you start adding the details, you will find you like it too. Sometimes if you look at things too closely you do not get the full effect. Many quilts/wallhangings look completely different when you step right up to them than they did from a little distance away.

bluteddi 05-15-2011 11:37 AM

wow... it's great.. the only think missing , is the rail fence... I think ur eye is drawn to it in the photo....

It's hard looking at ur own WIP's.. keep going.. I think it's looking good!

catrancher 05-15-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder
Wonderful. Now, the tree next to the house seems too dark. Can you go lighter? Remember the foreground for balance. Wow. Wish I had the talent you do.

Thank you. I see what you are talking about. I think I can do something with thread . . . make some branches (like blood vessels--sort of) so that there's less green and more brown.

catrancher 05-15-2011 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
wow... it's great.. the only think missing , is the rail fence... I think ur eye is drawn to it in the photo....

It's hard looking at ur own WIP's.. keep going.. I think it's looking good!

Oh yes, that's coming . . . Oy! Not looking forward to trying to make that work, but I have some ideas about it.

Kas 05-15-2011 11:40 AM

Hmmm. Well, I think maybe the mountain in the background is just too light. Can you use a fabric dye or paint to make it a softer, darker color? Like the other mt. next to the other side of the house.

lalaland 05-15-2011 11:42 AM

I personally think it's amazing!

But if you want a comment, maybe the colors are brighter than what you intended and that's bugging you. I love the brighter colors myself, but I know that sometimes people think the subtler colors work better.

moonwork42029 05-15-2011 11:43 AM

Maybe the "shadow" from the house eves (gutters) will break the separation of the house and the roof lines.

Looks good....I should be so lucky to try one. :)

I think as you mentioned, once you get the fence and some details in you'll be amazed at the difference.

Bluelady 05-15-2011 11:46 AM

The sky, the hills .. wonderful! The only problem I see, and since you are only 1/3 finished I bet this "problem" will go away.. is the front lawn. The horizon line is too harsh, but once you get the tree and the fence and other details in it will tone it down. Is that what is bothering you about it? Your final embellishments will definitely smooth it out and make it flow.
Your fabric choices are awesome.. love the roof and the walkway and the stone fence. Remember, as you said, you still have 2/3 of it to go!
I think you will love it when finished!

SueDor 05-15-2011 11:49 AM

I think its great! Whats wrong with it?