Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-happy-my-first-art-quilt-attempt-t123267.html)

bjchad 05-15-2011 02:04 PM

First let me say I think this is wonderful and you have done a good job. I do think that with thread work you will solve some of the issues others have spoken about if they bother you. So much can be added with layering thread. I wonder if some of your concern is that think you need to reproduce the photo as much as possible in as much detail as possible. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you want to do but you can also edit the scene by giving not the details but the overall feeling. I'm not trying to say you should do it one way or another, just trying to give you something to consider. Maybe you already have.
As I said at the beginning, I think you are doing a great job so far. I know layering in the thread will make a huge difference too. Just don't be afraid to put on a lot of thread. Sometimes it takes a lot to really work well.
For what it is worth!

KathyAire 05-15-2011 02:09 PM

It looks wonderful.

Fiber Artist 05-15-2011 02:12 PM

Love your little house!!! :thumbup: I can't wait to see it finished. :-)

PaperPrincess 05-15-2011 02:44 PM

I like it a lot so far, I think I would have used a bit less textured fabric for the house, though. If you look at the photo it's more monochromatic than the fabric you used, but it's not supposed to be an exact copy, it's your interpretation. My mom always said that there is nothing so discouraging than a half finished project, so just hang in there!

blahel 05-15-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by catrancher

Originally Posted by Candace
This is just my opinion, but what I see in most landscape quilts that work best are that the fabrics for grass, buildings etc. are not literal. Meaning, they aren't fabrics that are printed with stone, or grass patterned fabric. They tend to be the same color way as the objects, but the patterning with thread is what gives it life and the interpretation of the viewer adds to the interest of the piece.

I think you may have nailed it. Lots of thread to tone down the harsh lines in the fabric maybe? Or...start over. I haven't decided yet.

I am definitely no artist but I am interested in art quilting and have read some on the subject. I read somewhere that you use white and dark tulle to cover areas that you want to darken or lighten..hope that helps. I think it looks great so far and remember this is your FIRST art quilt and you will only get better! Look at this as your learning piece and allow it not to be perfect..I think once you finish it you will be very happy with the outcome as many quilts only look ok but once finished with quilting etc look amazing.

paulswalia 05-15-2011 03:10 PM

I would audition another fabric for the mountain behind the house. Why did you choose white for this mountain, but green for the one to the right of the house? Maybe the problem is we finally got ride of winter here and I'm tired of snow - but the white hill contrasts too much with the green one.

Caroline S 05-15-2011 03:12 PM

It is always helpful to get critiques. Here is mine.

I agree with Hinterland. Consider moving the trees in front of the house to the left side of your composition.

Also remember the perspective of mountains and hills. They are always shades lighter the further away they are. Perhaps you should reconsider changing the color of the big blue hills from blue to greenish to blend with the green hill on the right. I think blue hills blend in with the sky too much.

I had an art teacher tell me a long time ago to think in triangles. If the eye can follow the colors in a triangle format the composition appears more balanced.

catrancher 05-15-2011 03:23 PM

Thank you. Your comments are very helpful. I'm getting a lot of good ideas about what I can do to improve this. I think the real answer (aside from adding the remaining fence and landscaping) lies in good thread work. I'm not an expert at that either, but I like the idea of this being a learning project.

Also, I have posted it on the discussion of my QU class. No response yet, and I don't think the image has made its way into the gallery either. It's Sunday. Maybe nobody is working on Sunday.

mrs. fitz 05-15-2011 03:25 PM

Put the fence in and see what happens.

Quiltinggma-nc 05-15-2011 03:28 PM

I love your interpertation. That's what makes it art. It is how you see it. IMHO you are doing a great job. And as someone else said here if you don't have a place in your house you can send it to mine. I just love landscapes.