Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not happy with quilting class (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-happy-quilting-class-t276177.html)

gmac01 02-27-2016 05:46 PM

Not happy with quilting class

I recently signed up for a monthly class however, I have found that I am not enjoying it at all. I am a self taught confident beginner, but this class is changing the way I do almost everything. It has taken all the fun out of quilting and turned it into something I dread doing. Should I drop the class or suck it up until it's over?

mkc 02-27-2016 05:53 PM

I am also self-taught, and have only been quilting for a couple of years. I quilt because I enjoy it, not to enter quilt shows or sell quilts, or anything like that.

It sounds like you aren't having any fun in the class, and if it were me, because I do this as a hobby not for a living, I wouldn't continue. Life's too short to have the fun taken out of something you enjoy.

Now, if you have aspirations of entering quilt shows and the monthly class teaches you techniques that are judged at shows, that might be a reason to continue, but with the understanding that you're doing it for those times you would be quilting for the judges, not yourself.

cjsews 02-27-2016 05:54 PM

I would continue. There are many ways to accomplish the same results. Just think of this as an experience in other options. You may find something that will help in a particular pattern. Then when the class is over you can go back to the process you prefer

Bree123 02-27-2016 05:59 PM

If you really dislike it that much, I'd drop it. Unless you are planning on quilting as a business, I say you should do things however you want! Hobbies are meant to be fun & if this class is sucking all the fun out of quilting, why keep torturing yourself? :thumbup:

quiltingshorttimer 02-27-2016 06:04 PM

Maybe you need to exam a little more of why you don't like the class--is it just that you are being taught in new ways? If so I'd stick with it and see if there's something I might learn that would appeal to me.
If you aren't liking the class because you are not enjoying the class members, the teacher puts you down for having other ways to do a block, etc. then maybe you need to drop the class. But if that is the case, let the teacher or the shop where you are taking the class know the reasons so they can improve upon their classes.

Mdegenhart 02-27-2016 06:05 PM

What about it are you not liking? Do you not like the project? The teacher? The fellow students? What tecniques being taught do you not like?

Tumdarra 02-27-2016 06:25 PM

I agree with the ladies....if you are not having fun drop it. i have also had that experience with classes, think I will enjoy it and end up hating what I am making and the class itself.

Barb in Louisiana 02-27-2016 07:47 PM

If you hate the class, then don't go. I am curious about what they are teaching you that upsets you so much. Could you elaborate please?

I have sewed all my life, well, since I was about 6 years old. First just with needle & thread, and then at 10, I was allowed to use the sewing machine. I made my first 3 quilts without a pattern. Even though I didn't need quilting classes, I have signed up for several and in each one, I have learned new techniques and sometimes, better or quicker ways to do some common quilting tasks. I can't imagine anyone dreading going to the classes. They have all been fun and I have made new friends each time. But if you hate it, then don't do it. Maybe now is just not the right time.

Dina 02-27-2016 08:15 PM

If it has taken the fun out of quilting for you, then I think you should drop the class. Quilting should be fun.

Dina

scrapnut 02-27-2016 08:30 PM

I had the same experience in the fall. I too am self taught, although I have sewn for YEARS. I sort of felt the instructor was trying to make an example of me every class since I had the most experience. I did stick it out though because I refused to quit after I paid for the class. Don't know if I will take another class from this instructor.