Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not sure about this quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-sure-about-quilt-t246252.html)

Sisty88 05-04-2014 07:16 AM

Not sure about this quilt

1 Attachment(s)
I made this quilt for my Aunt and was intending to add a border to it to make it larger. I've been procrastinating with the border and I think I worked out today that the reason for this, is that I just don't think the quilt is right for my Aunt. I think it's maybe a little childish...what do you think? I'm not sure of her exact age, but I'm pretty sure she's over 60....I think I would rather give her something a little more sophisticated!
If i decide not to give it to my Aunt, I think I will leave the border (I was struggling to find the right fabric for it anyway) and get it quilted up and then donate it, probably to Project Linus, as I had been intending to make some quilts for them anyway.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474465[/ATTACH]

Craftnut 05-04-2014 07:18 AM

It may be the pink and blue that gives it a juvenile feel, but what colors does your Aunt like? What color is in her bedroom? If it is what she likes, go for it. If not, find out what her home colors tend to be, and go with those.

ManiacQuilter2 05-04-2014 07:25 AM

I agree with Craftnut. What are her colors in her bedroom?? Then you can decide. Project Linus is always such a great charity.

thimblebug6000 05-04-2014 07:25 AM

Well, I'm over 60 and I LOVE it! Are you intending it for a bed quilt that would match her decor or just a wonderful cuddly quilt for her to enjoy while watching TV etc?

Sisty88 05-04-2014 07:45 AM

I chose the fabrics because she said she liked pink, blue and green...but I'm not sure she meant all together! Haha, I liked the fabrics when I bought them because they had the same patterns in all 4 colours, I just think it might be a bit too much!
I wasn't sure whether she wanted a bed quilt or a sofa snuggly quilt so I figured I would make it big enough for a bed and then it can be used as either!

tessagin 05-04-2014 07:50 AM

If I'm going to give something, I ask way in advance (so they don't suspect) and make notes. If you don't feel comfortable giving this to her then make something else. My kids were wondering what I've been up to with all the questions, just told them I was doing a survey incase I quit giving gift cards for the holidays.

tessagin 05-04-2014 07:53 AM

I like your quilt and I like to take naps which are few and far between but something to cover my shoulders and hips are great!

Tothill 05-04-2014 08:08 AM

I am making a colourful quilt for my 80 year old mother. Last year I made a colourful quilt for the 78 year old mil.

I am a new quilter and make larger lap sized quilts with Minkee backing and no batting. Mum's quilt may have a different back as it is planned as a beach blanket. Mum goes to the beach every day during the summer for a swim and suntan.

I do not presume to know what a family member wants to have on their bed. I know I am particular about my bedding and would not like to feel obligated to put a quilt on my bed because someone made it for me.

I also have cats who share the bed with me and all bedding is washed weekly. I do not think a quilt can take that degree of washing.

patsynel 05-04-2014 08:24 AM

I am over 65 and I love the quilt. Your choice of colors and fabric are great.

Doggramma 05-04-2014 08:41 AM

I too am over 60 and love those colors/fabrics. For a border, why can't you just take one of the fabrics and just do a smaller (maybe 2-3 inch) "frame" around it. Seems perfect to me for a nap!