Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Not Your Grandmothers Log Cabin Quilt" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-your-grandmothers-log-cabin-quilt-t178385.html)

cmmcbride 02-06-2012 01:15 PM

"Not Your Grandmothers Log Cabin Quilt"

Has anyone completed or worked on a log cabin quilt from this book? My friend and I are kind of in the advanced beginner heading toward intermediate category of quilting and are thinking of working together to make a quilt from this book. I have read it over several times and it is more difficult than any of my past experiences. I am looking for any helpful hints, ideas, recommendations... Thanks!

Christina

Jan in VA 02-06-2012 02:13 PM

IF you do buy the book and start a quilt, don't forget to use the Clearview Ruler from Marcie Baker. Marcie's techniques with triangles have been known for well over a decade, but, as they employ 60 degree angles - with those bias edges - they can be daunting for some quilters. If you are familiar with regular log cabin construction, you can do this kind of log cabin construction -- it's still just straight stitching after all -- but this will require patience, attention, and careful cutting.

Go for it! If it's too much, you can put it aside, come back to it in a few months and likely find you're grown to the point where you can enjoy it; the end will justify the means!

Jan in VA

CharlottsQuilts 02-06-2012 02:25 PM

I haven't seen the book, but I love log cabins. They are supposed to be beginner quilts, but I think not, you have to keep all your pieces straight (by length and color), and you must use an exact 1/4 inch. seam allowance. But log cabins are great, and you will love it.

dunster 02-06-2012 03:41 PM

I don't have that book, but I highly recommend Judy Martin's log cabin book.

Prism99 02-06-2012 07:14 PM

I enjoy making log cabin quilts and wanted to see what this book offers, so I found this link:
http://softexpressions.com/software/books/4I30505.php

These would definitely be more complex than regular log cabin quilts, and it is potentially more difficult to collaborate on a quilt. Especially with these types of patterns, I think collaboration would be difficult as there is so much chance of slight variations in cuts (different rulers?), slight variations in sewn seam allowances, and even perhaps differences in stretching of the bias edges. If I were going to make one of these quilts, I would want to do it all myself!

RV Quilter 02-06-2012 09:01 PM

For a basic log cabin pattern Eleanor Burn's Quilt in a Day is fantastic. Clear, precise instructions. Used it for my first quilt and many others afterwards.

cmmcbride 02-06-2012 09:20 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I am considering all the feedback and will go over it with my friend. We both have the book and would be doing separate quilts but using the same book. We both have the clearview triangle ruler that Marci Baker recommends. If we do it, I will post pictures unless they're too embarassing or it becomes a UFO. Either way, it could be an adventure with a good friend.

gailinva 02-07-2012 05:22 AM

Judy Martin's book and technique is great. Blocks end up perfectly square!

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 4949504)
I don't have that book, but I highly recommend Judy Martin's log cabin book.

Quiltlady330 02-08-2012 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 4949242)
IF you do buy the book and start a quilt, don't forget to use the Clearview Ruler from Marcie Baker. Marcie's techniques with triangles have been known for well over a decade, but, as they employ 60 degree angles - with those bias edges - they can be daunting for some quilters. If you are familiar with regular log cabin construction, you can do this kind of log cabin construction -- it's still just straight stitching after all -- but this will require patience, attention, and careful cutting.

Go for it! If it's too much, you can put it aside, come back to it in a few months and likely find you're grown to the point where you can enjoy it; the end will justify the means!

Jan in VA

I agree that the accurate cutting is essential and of course 1/4 inch seam is just as important. It's one of my favorite patterns...so many possibilities. Have fun...most of all. Don't stress and enjoy.

gardnergal970 02-08-2012 06:23 AM

I made the quilt using scraps and it went really well. I loved the wonky look. It's really not any harder since it is all straight sewing. It's how you trim the blocks that give it the wonky affect. I found that as long as they were the same width so my strips sewed together okay, I could make them any length which gave it another look too. This is not hard to do at all.