Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Note to Self: Make Test Block First (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/note-self-make-test-block-first-t253985.html)

Boston1954 09-18-2014 01:44 PM

Note to Self: Make Test Block First

beatys9 had made a gorgeous quilt in a pattern that I think is called Zen...something.

Not having instructions, I thought I could figure it out. Well, I have done a whole of cutting in the last two days, and today, when I started to sew, I found some of my sizes are off. Now, I am not sure if I want to go ahead or just make something else. There are a lot of 2 1/2's by whatever..... that I can do other things with. Will have to sit and stare at it for a while and see what it will become.

Tell me I am not alone. That I am not stupid.

janRN 09-18-2014 01:51 PM

You are not alone and you are not stupid LOL. I hate to get a pattern and it only gives directions for cutting all the blocks at once. I like to just make one block to see if I like it or if the pieces fit or whatever. I'd prefer directions for just one block and then I could multiply the number of pieces if I want to make more.

I'm sure you'll find something to do with all those pieces. Just keep staring at them, maybe with a glass of wine in one hand and a piece of chocolate in the other.

Dina 09-18-2014 02:00 PM

Yup, you are not alone. Been there, done that. More than once. :)

Dina

tessagin 09-18-2014 02:03 PM

I have a lot of "test" blocks. Went into my scraps. One thing I did after test blocks, I threw into washer. Tossed color catchers in even though prewashed 2-3 times. Bled all over some tests. Took those fabrics and washed couple more times. So if you're going to test might be good to test for bleed.

dcamarote 09-18-2014 02:16 PM

You are perfectly normal. I have done the same thing a number of times. But, I could always come up with something the eventually worked. Don't give up.

ube quilting 09-18-2014 02:25 PM

Write it on the front of your sewing machine. A lifetime ago I was always eager to jump in and start sewing pieces and always, I was disappointed in my results. Now, a lifetime later, I always cut one block and piece it for fit and likability. If it works for me, I continue.
I am happy.:D
peace

Jeanne S 09-18-2014 03:01 PM

Good reminder for us all. Been there too!!

Tartan 09-18-2014 03:28 PM

I have quite an orphan block collection. I do admire those people that can take failed orphan blocks and piece them into great quilts, I am not one of them. Someone can decide what to do with my failed attempts after I am gone.:D

craftychick 09-18-2014 03:31 PM

I made a test pinwheel block one time and the test block was the best one of the whole quilt. LOL

ManiacQuilter2 09-18-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 6894386)
Yup, you are not alone. Been there, done that. More than once. :)

Dina

Yes, been there done that. That is why I like EQ so much. With the block instructions printed out, it clearly tell you what to cut to what size.