Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Note to self: never again! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/note-self-never-again-t137794.html)

katier825 07-15-2011 07:36 AM

Next time I get the bright idea to make a large t-shirt quilt, I hope someone comes along and kicks me!

The assembly went very well...but now that I am quilting it, it weighs a freaking ton!!!!!! My shoulders are killing me and I'm taking breaks after each section. I changed my plans as I went along and quilted less than I wanted to. I was going to do some filling in around the designs in the t-shirt blocks. Instead, I went around the perimeter of the designs. If I ever get the desire to make one again (ya, right), I will save up and have it quilted by someone else!

On the up side, it's looking pretty good. I knew it would be heavier, but never anticipated it would be this difficult to quilt. Three more borders and I'm done. Already looking forward to the next (easier) quilting project. ;)

PegD 07-15-2011 07:41 AM

Hang in there, I'm sure it will be beautiful when it is done.

Grammashel 07-15-2011 07:42 AM

Be sure to show it to us.

blueangel 07-15-2011 07:45 AM

I'm sure it will be worth it when it's done.

thimblebug6000 07-15-2011 07:46 AM

What batting did you use that makes it so heavy? How far apart does that batting recommend your quilting to be?

Prism99 07-15-2011 07:49 AM

You might want to try quilting it standing up. I find it saves my shoulders a *lot*. I place my sewing machine on my cutting table and surround it with a styrofoam "table" (instructions on Youtube) to give me a large flat surface. Really worth it for me!

katier825 07-15-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
What batting did you use that makes it so heavy? How far apart does that batting recommend your quilting to be?

Warm & Natural. The t-shirts, plus interfacing add weight too. I try to quilt a few inches apart at the most, but still fairly loose.

katier825 07-15-2011 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
You might want to try quilting it standing up. I find it saves my shoulders a *lot*. I place my sewing machine on my cutting table and surround it with a styrofoam "table" (instructions on Youtube) to give me a large flat surface. Really worth it for me!

I never thought of trying it standing up. Not sure if my table is high enough though.

I couldn't find the right size thickness of foam around here to make my own "table"...it's too thin and I'd need several layers. I did my own makeshift "table" which helps alot, but the whole thing is really too low. At least my chair adjusts, so that helps a bit.

BellaBoo 07-15-2011 09:29 AM

I have never had the desire to make a Tee shirt quilt. My girls never saved any of their old tee shirts anyway. I don't get the sentimental value of old tee shirts.

katier825 07-15-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have never had the desire to make a Tee shirt quilt. My girls never saved any of their old tee shirts anyway. I don't get the sentimental value of old tee shirts.

Actually, they were new t-shirts bought specifically for this quilt. My grandson loves Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog. Of course, you can't find fabric like that. My DIL found the t-shirts in the clearance and saved them for me. Oh well, it is a labor of love for my grandson. He's got some issues and this should make him happy. :)