Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Now Here's a Thought ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/now-heres-thought-t14400.html)

sewjoyce 12-14-2008 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by beachlady
Very interesting. Gonna try it!

Me too!!!

A couple of months ago at Bernina Club, she did a bit on how to make our clothes/fabric smell good when we ironed. There are lots of recipes about using cheap vodka and smell good oil. Wonder if we could use vinegar and her recipes?????

Tiffany 12-14-2008 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce

Originally Posted by beachlady
Very interesting. Gonna try it!

Me too!!!

A couple of months ago at Bernina Club, she did a bit on how to make our clothes/fabric smell good when we ironed. There are lots of recipes about using cheap vodka and smell good oil. Wonder if we could use vinegar and her recipes?????

Cheap vodka??? Wouldn't that just leave you smelling like a drunk? :?

My girlfriend uses lavendar water in her iron. I don't really smell any difference between her fabrics and mine though.
Piece ~ Tiffany

sewjoyce 12-14-2008 09:21 AM

LOL -- No the vodka doesn't smell!! I don't know why. And she said to use the CHEAP stuff as the good stuff didn't work as well....

Tiffany 12-14-2008 09:49 AM

Now isn't that just the oddest thing. (Things that make you go "Hummmm")
Piece ~ Tiffany

Moonpi 12-14-2008 10:03 AM

I know folks who swear by cider vinegar and honey as a daily tonic. Vinegar and salt make an easy copper cleaner.

fabricluvr 12-14-2008 10:34 AM

i can attest to the vinegar through the iron to reduce clogs. worked great for me! used about a 50/50 mixture, let it sit for a while, then turned the heat all the way up, several bursts of steam, ironed an old cloth over and over, then drained, and refilled and drained until the vinegar was gone.

now i don't have to buy a new iron!

patricej 12-14-2008 01:09 PM

i use a 50/50 solution. and ... yes ... plain white vinegar. also, when i turn the iron off, i set it face down on the metal rack at the end of my ironing board. that way, it can work its cleaning magic on all the holes while i'm out in the world.

vodka is alcohol. most likeley works on the same principle.

Connie1948 12-14-2008 01:13 PM

I quit using the steam setting on my $100+ Rowenta Iron. It just spit and dripps....I am going to try the vinegar.....thanks ladies. I will let you know if it works.
Connie

butterflywing 12-14-2008 01:54 PM

i run vinegar through the dishwasher about once a month. it cleans away the hard water deposits and really freshens it. and when i was a kid (yes - i was) my grandmother made me drink it warm when i was sick. it made me sicker. i can still taste it.

SulaBug 12-14-2008 02:06 PM

Thanks for the tip on using vinegar & water in your iron. I am going to try that out today, as I sew on a few projects.

Happy Sewing,
Cheryl