Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   NOW I understand what you mean by "linty" thread LOL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/now-i-understand-what-you-mean-%22linty%22-thread-lol-t88818.html)

jaciqltznok 01-08-2011 09:08 PM

was that the actual thread, or was it picking up stuff from the bobbin race?

I have used connecting threads thread on many different machines for piecing, quilting, thread play, you name it and have NEVER had that happen....

My Elna is my pickiest machine..she will not use Coats & clark for anything...so I pitched it all and went with CT, Star, and Aurifil....

Might check your needle as well....even the slightest burr could cause that fraying...

pstoner 01-09-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent

Originally Posted by franie
OHHHHHHHHHH that is a nasty one! What's the brand?

That's Connecting Threads brand

Is that the Essential Thread? Cotton or Poly/Cotton?

pstoner 01-09-2011 05:40 AM

[quote=davidwent]

Originally Posted by franie
OHHHHHHHHHH that is a nasty one! What's the brand?

Oh that's bad, but are you sure it's from the thread?

krabadan 01-09-2011 05:41 AM

I too use Connecting Threads all the time without that problem.

featherweight 01-09-2011 07:33 AM

I would definatly use a good brand of needle. Hope you are not using cheap ones. Schmetz or Klasse is what they recommended for my machine. I have never had any thread shread like that one.

BKrenning 01-09-2011 07:48 AM

I have had Coats & Clark Machine Quilting thread shred like that & worse many, many times especially the darker colors. Switching to a bigger needle, especially a topstitch or embroidery needle with it's larger eye helps but I won't buy C&C for quilting any more. I have had a lint ball just kind of fall out of the needle bar because I had been happily sewing or quilting along and didn't notice it lurking up there waiting to drop. I even had one get sucked into the tension disks and had to take the machine in for service to get it out. That's when I decided no more C&C quilting thread.

ewecansew 01-09-2011 08:18 AM

I would try a larger eye needle.

ckcowl 01-09-2011 10:24 AM

that kind of looks like the eye of your needle is fraying your thread, either the needle is not the correct size or type for the thread you are using, some needles have round holes, some oval, some even square... but it is important for the weight of the thread being used and the needle being used to (match-up)along with being the correct needle for the job. :thumbup:

quilter41 01-09-2011 10:28 AM

Are you sure there isn't a burr on the needle? I have used their thread and had very little problem with lint.

phoenixrose 01-09-2011 10:58 AM

I have a bunch of this thread from when I started quilting years ago and yes it is linty. I mainly use the rest for decoration - they look pretty in glass jars! I rarely use it in my machines and never on my long arm.

I'm a Superior gal . Yes, it's a bit more pricy - but it's guaranteed by the company and stitches up beautifully. and the COLORS!!! You get what you pay for in thread!