Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Now that I've sewn my scraps sewn onto register tape and into a quilt... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/now-ive-sewn-my-scraps-sewn-onto-register-tape-into-quilt-t219583.html)

justflyingin 04-20-2013 09:19 AM

Now that I've sewn my scraps sewn onto register tape and into a quilt...

how do I get rid of the paper?

What have you done that has worked?

Thanks for any hints.

I tried to wash the top only on gentle cycle and I plugged up the filter on the machine. Plus a few of the seams gave out which I will repair, of course.

I was thinking next time of sewing a piece of tightly woven fabric to the back side, washing it and hoping that the second piece of fabric will eliminate the fraying that occurs and the paper from floating around it the machine.

charsuewilson 04-20-2013 09:47 AM

Like paper piecing, when sewing onto register tape, you should be using a shorter stitch length. That will help get rid of the paper. But it's too late for that. A seam ripper can help in reaching those small pieces of paper. Maybe someone here has a better idea. Putting another piece of fabric on the back for washing might help. The paper didn't come off in the dryer?

QuiltE 04-20-2013 09:55 AM

Oh dear ... I hope that a few popped seams is all that has happened negatively, and that your quilt top is fine otherwise.

I think your remedy now would be to work at it piece by piece to pick out the paper. You might find a lint roller may help, maybe not, as the paper that is left will have changed and may be glued in there a little. Be careful if you are using a stitch ripper (or anything else), that you don't damage/cut the stitches further. A pair of tweezers may help you get some of the pieces out.

ditto ... i sew with a short stitch when PPing and the paper just comes off easy-peasy. Sometimes I have to use bandaids (aka painters tape) to keep it on, til I am ready for removal.

Tartan 04-20-2013 11:04 AM

When removing paper from paper piecing, I run my fingernail along the stitching line. This usually makes the pieces quite easy to pull off. I don't wash the quilt top with it in but I suggest a night of picking it out of the stitching line with tweezers now. Good luck.

justflyingin 04-20-2013 11:25 AM

I'm thinking for next time. This time...the paper came off and all over the top, etc. I didn't put it in the dryer lest hte seams really come apart...there are a lot of unfinished seams that have real potential to come apart. I didn't want to dry this one until I actually quilt it.

But I love the look and sewed more scraps onto another roll of tape. After making it into the quilt top, picking it all out with a seam ripper seems tedious to me. So tedious I don't think I can stand the thought of it! :)

kamaiarigby 04-20-2013 12:44 PM

I like to sew the strips onto old telephone book pages, the quality of the paper is not that great, still use a smaller stitch. I have many pages covered this way and when I need them they are already to slice and join up to make a long strip, there is a little bit of wastage doing it this way but hey they were only scraps in the first place and now you have re-invented them I to a quilt

quilterCDN 04-20-2013 01:14 PM

I have never heard of sewing onto register tape or telephone book pages. I use the paper for paper-piecing and use the seam-ripper/fingernail way of removing the paper. Alway learn something different on this board.

gzuslivz 04-20-2013 02:42 PM

Fold the paper on the seam, creasing it with your fingernail. It makes it easier to tear without pulling on the seam. I found a roll of paper in the paint section that is 6" wide and is light weight brown paper used for taping things off. I'm going to use that for paper piecing strips on the diagonal. I think it will work out well.

IQ2 04-20-2013 03:03 PM

You can run the back edge of your seam ripper against the seam to score it and pick out any leftovers with a tweezer.
(and yes--shorter stitches next time)

krafty14 04-20-2013 04:00 PM

I don't enjoy paper piecing, but tried it for a class. We were told to run a wet q-tip along the stitch line. Of course very small stitches. :o)