Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Now what do I do? Dog ripped batting loaded on LA-half done w/King quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/now-what-do-i-do-dog-ripped-batting-loaded-la-half-done-w-king-quilt-t191875.html)

valleyquiltermo 06-16-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer (Post 5291983)
I would cut the rough/stretched hole out of the batting. Cut another piece of batting 3" or so bigger than the hole. Spray baste the outer edge of the patch and smooth into place over the hole. Good luck.

Ditto, same plan of action I would do. Been quilting since 2000 and piecing for 30 yrs.

kathyd 06-16-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by fayzer (Post 5291983)
I would cut the rough/stretched hole out of the batting. Cut another piece of batting 3" or so bigger than the hole. Spray baste the outer edge of the patch and smooth into place over the hole. Good luck.

This seems like a good idea to me. Just be careful of the overspray!

rrhaigh 06-16-2012 01:24 PM

I patched the batting and quilted the patched area. It looks very smooth itsn't noicable at all. Hopefully it will look as good off the frame as well. Thank you so much for all the advise. So glad everyone is so willing to share their expertise!

MaryAnnMc 06-17-2012 03:13 AM

Oh, dear. Such perils we quilters face when pets are about. i'm taking notes!

Amythyst02 06-17-2012 04:23 AM

You know our little animal friends love us unconditionally, so I would not be too upset with the dog. I think after you have finished that wine, had a good nights sleep that things will look much better in the morning. Lots of good advice here for you, and I think the fix will be fairly easy. No one will ever know ... cept you and the pup, and hes probably forgotten already too : )

nhweaver 06-17-2012 04:28 AM

spray baste to the rescue - trim the existing batting and measure the area, then cut a new piece of batting and spray away. follow the directions

Weenween 06-17-2012 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by rrhaigh (Post 5291926)
My Ddog came in my sewing room and was so excited to see me that she jumped up to greet me (whiche we are training them NOT to do). She missed me and jumped on the batting floating on the long arm where I was quilting away. It ripped a huge jagged hole in the batting. I was in the middle of quilting a king size quilt. They have always enjoyed laying in my sewing room while I sew or quilt, but I have never had an issue with them until now. So, now what do I do with the batting already loaded on the quilt and on my long arm? The hole is about 12" around and jagged/stretched.

Time for hand stitching for repair,as for the dog every time it jumps up to greet you,barely step on his back paws while he is in the up.I was told that for my Australian Shepherd and it work like a charm.Don't hurt that much just lightly step on them.He or She will get the message pretty quick.

NCUTE2 06-17-2012 06:15 AM

Well...i'd just get rid of the dog!!

matraina 06-17-2012 01:25 PM

How about shooting the dog? Just kidding. I think I would cut out the circle and iron on a bigger piece to patch it.

Taughtby Grandma 06-17-2012 01:39 PM

I have had stitched the edges back together and it worked out fine. My DGD caught her foot in the batting one time when I was working on a quilt.