Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Now what do I do with this roll of scrappy border? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/now-what-do-i-do-roll-scrappy-border-t116007.html)

Scrap Happy 04-14-2011 09:42 AM

This is going to look so cool when it's finished. I can't wait to see a picture.

justflyingin 04-14-2011 12:49 PM

I'll post a pic tomorrow since it is almost 11 pm here now.

fabric whisperer 04-14-2011 12:52 PM

someone on another thread mentioned if you use a larger needle, sometimes those larger holes make it easier to remove the paper? What a great way to use scraps :)

AliKat 04-14-2011 09:58 PM

I think I would stay stitch around the perimeter/edges of the quilt before dampening and removing the paper. Sort of a CYA technique.

ali

justflyingin 04-15-2011 02:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I've already stitched around the edge of the scrappy border. Here are some more pics.

I'm planning on putting it as part of the border on a scrappy quilt made up of scrappy crazy 6.5" squares. The rest of the quilt is done.

Somerset Val 04-15-2011 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
I've already stitched around the edge of the scrappy border. Here are some more pics.

I'm planning on putting it as part of the border on a scrappy quilt made up of scrappy crazy 6.5" squares. The rest of the quilt is done.

If there are not too many bias edges, I would remove the paper before stiching to the quilt BUT, I would mark the edge of the strip fabric every 6.5" first, before removing the paper, so that I could match it up with the squares, in order to keep the shape. I hope that makes sense!
I think you should have omitted the stitching around the edge - You will find it a lot more difficult to remove the paper.
When paper-piecing, I use stitch length 2.0 on my Janome and the paper removes very easily. Sometimes I put a small ruler along the line of stitching before tearing away the paper so that there's not too much 'pull' on the stitching.
I have read that the stitch length can be as small as 1.5 but have never tried this.

justflyingin 04-15-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Somerset Val

I think you should have omitted the stitching around the edge - You will find it a lot more difficult to remove the paper.

I felt like I had to in order to get the shape I wanted to since I sewed in odd ways and directions. I will try it later today and experiment.

Scrap Happy 04-15-2011 05:07 AM

I'm loving this border!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :-P Thanks for sharing the picture.

sik1010 04-15-2011 05:27 AM

Great looking border!

WI Rose 04-15-2011 05:39 AM

Thanks for the picture. I have bags of scras that I am planning to do something similar.