Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Nylon Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/nylon-quilts-t77512.html)

RoxanneS 11-20-2010 12:02 AM

I just received a copy of Quilt World, July-August 1976. In reading the mag...I found references to nylon quilts. One person was asking for nylons to complete a quilt. Does anyone know what is a "Nylon Quilt" and what did these look like? On page 37, a quilter writes "The picture shows me with my first nylon stocking quilt to my right and above, then two baby quilts. ..." I can't tell what the quilts are. Sounds interesting.....and did these quilts last through the years of use?

Sadiemae 11-20-2010 12:26 AM

Were they quilts that had nylons as the batting?

craftybear 11-20-2010 01:17 AM

interesting

Originally Posted by RoxanneS
I just received a copy of Quilt World, July-August 1976. In reading the mag...I found references to nylon quilts. One person was asking for nylons to complete a quilt. Does anyone know what is a "Nylon Quilt" and what did these look like? On page 37, a quilter writes "The picture shows me with my first nylon stocking quilt to my right and above, then two baby quilts. ..." I can't tell what the quilts are. Sounds interesting.....and did these quilts last through the years of use?

bearisgray 11-20-2010 03:25 AM

I think they were sort of a "puff" of "biscuit" type quilt with the nylons used for the puffing/stuffing.

Several items came up when I googled "puff quilt directions nylons"

or "biscuit quilt directions nylons"

They look like they would be tedious to make.

amma 11-20-2010 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I think they were sort of a "puff" of "biscuit" type quilt with the nylons used for the puffing/stuffing.

Several items came up when I googled "puff quilt directions nylons"

or "biscuit quilt directions nylons"

They look like they would be tedious to make.

These are the same references that I have come across too. Using nylons to stuff some areas, or to use as the batting. :D:D:D

littlehud 11-20-2010 09:50 AM

What a unique concept.

klgreene 11-20-2010 03:58 PM

Now that's a novel thing to do. I have a huge drawer full of "nylon pantyhose". Which I can no longer wear because they come with two legs, and I only have one...LOL..so I buy knee highs and make sure any skirts, which I rarely wear, are long. I hated to just throw them away, but I sure would like to use that drawer for something else. Sometimes I find good out of only having one leg. And I do joke about it all the time....not much else you can do.

4dogs 11-20-2010 04:29 PM

Katie..have you tried the "thigh high" stockings? I really like those, they go up to the thigh, so nothing hangs out under a skirt, slacks, etc.........and they stay up, too.........I got mine at the Hanes outlet store....

aunt ria 11-20-2010 04:32 PM

years ago my great-aunt used nylons and or pantyhose for her batting :)

nwm50 11-20-2010 04:32 PM

Referring to thr thigh hi stockings...have tried those(about 10 yrs ago) and lo and behold....they can start sliding down ....maybe my skinny legs couldn't keep them up? Not that they're skinny now! LOL