Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Obsessed quilter - literally designing quilts in my sleep (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obsessed-quilter-literally-designing-quilts-my-sleep-t244236.html)

Sewnoma 03-31-2014 06:07 AM

Obsessed quilter - literally designing quilts in my sleep

I am so amused by this.

I had a very realistic dream Saturday night, in which I was giving a quilt to my DH's grandmother for her birthday. In the dream I was explaining to her that it's a different style than I usually make and in the dream I showed her the whole quilt and explained how I made it and why it's different from my usual quilts. (It's a tied quilt, in 30's feedsack-style repro fabrics. VERY different from my usual style.)

Woke up and realized it's a done deal...I am going to make that exact quilt, and I am going to give it to her for her birthday, just like in my dream. I drew the quilt out in the morning, waited until Beverly's opened, went and bought the fabric for it before I could "lose" the design in my head....best part is about 90% of the fabric I bought for the quilt was found on the half-off table. After work tonight I'll get the fabric washed and cut....quilt will be done well in time for her birthday (in November).

It's a quilt that was just meant to be! I think she'll really like it, too. :thumbup:

leaha 03-31-2014 06:25 AM

oh yes know about those kind of dreams! lol

ManiacQuilter2 03-31-2014 06:28 AM

Well, occasionally I will dream up a solution to a problem I have with a quilt layout but never dreamed up a quilt design. I keep a pad & pencil next to my bed because I can never remember what the idea was when I wake up the next morning!! :)

DJ 03-31-2014 06:31 AM

What wonderful inspiration your unconscious provided! I love it when a quilt just "happens".

luvstoquilt 03-31-2014 06:35 AM

That is when you know you are a real quilter...I love when that happens!!!!

AngeliaNR 03-31-2014 06:45 AM

It seems that all the brilliant ideas I have while dreaming turn out to be nonsense in the morning! I'm glad yours stayed brilliant. :)

wolph33 03-31-2014 06:56 AM

I make so many quilts in my dreams and they are far superior to what I am really capable of doing.

Emma S 03-31-2014 07:00 AM

Given that kind of "instruction" I would just have to make it too. Would you use this thread to show us your progress?

michelleoc 03-31-2014 07:04 AM

That reminds me of the time that a friend had given me fabric to make a baby quilt for her. I put the fabric on the table in my sewing room. The next morning I realized that I had walked in my sleep the previous night and picked out all the coordinating fabrics! That's great but, if I'm going to accomplish something in my sleep, why can't it be housework? That way I have more time for quilting!!

scrapinmema 03-31-2014 11:09 AM

WOW be sure and show us the finished quilt. I'm sure she will love it.