Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Obsession (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obsession-t118855.html)

wattse2000 04-25-2011 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok -- I think I am obsessed and I hope I'm not the only one. It seems like the moment I start a project (or even the idea for a project) I am like a woman obsessed to get it done! I still enjoy piecing, quilting, whatever I happen to be doing at the time, but the strong urge I have to complete the project turns the activity into more of an all-consuming obsession than a relaxing past time. Does anyone else have this problem?

My main problem right now is that I jumped into this tremendous hand-piecing project. When I started I thought it might take me a year to complete -- quilting and all -- now I'm 6 months into the project and I can see that a year is MAYBE enough time to piece the top -- MAYBE. Now I'm depressed because all I can think about is the end product which I won't be enjoying for a long, long while. I need to learn to enjoy the moment!!!!

FYI -- when I finally do finish the thing I'm afraid I won't want to touch it for fear of destroying it after all the blood, sweat and tears that went into it. It will probably sit in a closet somewhere and never get used!!!!!

Fuzzy picture of hand-pieced chunks not totally sewn together -- halfway done with the smaller units...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]189212[/ATTACH]

Murphy 04-25-2011 07:35 PM

It is beautiful. Don't let in languish in a closet somewhere. Show it off or give it to someone who will love it and use it. It is going to be beautiful!! Thank you for sharing.

M.I.Late 04-25-2011 07:35 PM

Oh but it's going to be so beautiful. I love it already. Do love it and do use it - you will have earned at least 200 naps under it. :)

wattse2000 04-25-2011 07:37 PM

Thank you -- I needed that!

Originally Posted by Murphy
It is beautiful. Don't let in languish in a closet somewhere. Show it off or give it to someone who will love it and use it. It is going to be beautiful!! Thank you for sharing.

wattse2000 04-25-2011 07:37 PM

200 naps? You might be right. Just no dogs!!!

sueisallaboutquilts 04-25-2011 07:39 PM

I agree. And it sure is beautiful, wow!!!
I get obsessed with things at times and try really hard to breathe deeply, listen to things on my Ipod to get me out of my head and back to the moment, if that makes sense!
I honestly need to do this b/c I tend to get wired easily.
It helps a lot. I don't like feeling obsessed b/c I'm not enjoying what's going on, instead I'm in the future, not the present.

cjomomma 04-25-2011 07:41 PM

You are doing a wonderful job. Don't think about how long it's gonna take you to get it done just think of how much you will enjoy it once it's finished.
It will be georgious!!

wattse2000 04-25-2011 07:41 PM

Music is a good idea, Susan. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I agree. And it sure is beautiful, wow!!!
I get obsessed with things at times and try really hard to breathe deeply, listen to things on my Ipod to get me out of my head and back to the moment, if that makes sense!
I honestly need to do this b/c I tend to get wired easily.
It helps a lot. I don't like feeling obsessed b/c I'm not enjoying what's going on, instead I'm in the future, not the present.

connie d 04-25-2011 07:41 PM

I don't know but sometimes if a project causes such feelings maybe I would change my projects, maybe even start another project. Consider after after hand piecing maybe FMQ. Just suggestions. The point is to have fun in what you are doing. :):):)

eashka 04-25-2011 07:42 PM

I wish I had the nerve to try something that complicated. Don't give up on it and never hide it in a closet. Lay it out so people will see it and you will be proud.