Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OBW--How are you cutting through 6 layers of fabric??? And Keep it Lined UP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obw-how-you-cutting-through-6-layers-fabric-keep-lined-up-t203269.html)

QuiltE 10-15-2012 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5587884)
My friend will almost lose her breath when starting to cut fabric for a quilt. She is so afraid she will mess up. If I mess up I just say oops and start over. Misscuts are how you get a scrap stash isn't it? :D

Although for the OBW, a miscut does kind of mess up the whole project.
Not quite as forgiving as most things we do.

Good for you AngelinaMaria to reach out and ask first ...
Remember, knowledge is power!
Rather than later saying I have a problem.

Jackie Spencer 10-15-2012 01:56 PM

I hold my pin straight up and down, pick a spot in the first fabric, then lift a little and put my pin in the exact same spot in the second fabric, and so on till I have done all 6 layers. I pin about every 3 inches. I start in the center of the fabric strip.

Murphy1 10-15-2012 03:51 PM

I have made several OBW and lining up carefully with a pin is so important. I pin very carefully and am careful not to move it. When it is all pinned I shake a bit and do check to make sure the pin is in the exact place in all six layers. I don't think I could cut in layers of three. I would make sure that blade is brand new. I am going to be cut a OBW probably next week and that is what I will do. I love, love them. I am making one for a friend for her birthday. I think I will be very busy, but really having fun putting the blocks together.
Also, don't forget to press the seams open.

DOTTYMO 10-16-2012 07:28 AM

Cutting through 8 layers for a kaleidoscope quilt. We had all pinned theta terms in line. Plenty of pins definitely is the answer as I also made a kaleidoscope where we didn't put many pins in and I can see where the rotations are out of pattern.

Bluelady 10-16-2012 07:31 AM

I didn't have any problems cutting through the six layers for my OBW. But I think I replaced the blade right before that too.

NanaCsews2 10-16-2012 11:08 AM

New blades when you are planning to cut many layers, and a large Olfa rotary cutter does make a difference. It takes more strength and pressure with the smaller blade to cut many layers than it does using a larger blade. They glide much easier through the fabric. Use the Grippers for your templates and rulers. You have control on holding down the fabrics. Several sizes are available online for different sized templates and rulers. Placing that pin is very important when doing a OBW to line them up, and I find using the grippers very helpful also.
You can Google: Gypsy Gripper, quilting rulers.

jcrow 10-16-2012 01:03 PM

What is a OBW???

AngelinaMaria 10-16-2012 01:08 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I ordered a 60 mm cutter, 5 60 mm replacement blades and 5 45 mm replacement blades yesterday from Amazon (and at great prices too) so I will be well armed with blades to get crisp accurate cuts. My book will arrive on Thursday and my fabric should be on the way today as well. I have flat pins that have a little "button" for the topper. I'm not sure they are quite as flat as the "flower" pins. I haven't ever actually used these and I'm not sure how it will feel with a ruler laid on top of them so I'll have to play around. Also I'll need to put some rubber grippers on my ruler as well (I normally like it to be sliddy but will need grip for this so I'm hoping I can remove them when I am done with this project).

lindy-2 10-16-2012 01:21 PM

new blade definitly ive cut through 12 layers at once and dident have any problems but i had a new good quality 45mm blade.

Prism99 10-16-2012 01:59 PM

OBW = One Block Wonder