Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OBW.....I'm scared (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obw-im-scared-t132817.html)

meanmom 06-25-2011 11:45 AM

When I did a one block wonder and read the instructions it sounded hard. To me the instructions are always confusing. OBW is really and easy quilt. When you stick your pins thru the fabric to line the fabric up just make sure you stick the pins thru straight. Pick it up by the ins and jiggle the fabric to line it up. It is easier if someone helps you but not necessary. Use the flat head pins someone suggested. Really easy fun quilt. 2 of us at the LQS made ours out of the same fabric and they look totally different. Hers even looks like a different color than mine

Riverton Quilter 06-25-2011 01:26 PM

The pinning helps you line up the fabric accurately before you cut. My biggest suggestions is to buy two cheap pieces of mirror 5X7 and using duck tape, tape them together along one long edge. Then you can audition your fabric. The "v" shape of the mirror moved along the fabric will give you an idea of what your blocks will look like. The larger the print with some but not much "blank" spots will give you the most variety of blocks. I always buy more of the focus fabric for the outside border, so you can show everyone, the basis for your quilt. Have fun with it, no quilt police around.

muskratwine 06-25-2011 02:53 PM

Try it!! I am addicted to hexagons -have made at least 6 of them. It's so much fun to see how different the hexagons are from the original fabric!! Don't stress if your fabric doesn't match perfectly - the overall effect will be stunning. I started one to make with hollow cubes after taking a class from Marci Baker - they are so much fun and really easy!! The directions are also in the 2nd OBW book. Try it - then when you walk into your LQS a fabric will scream at you - I'd be perfect for hexagons!! Marlene

loves_2_quilt 06-25-2011 02:59 PM

Relax you will enjoy it. They aren't as hard as they appear. I have made one and really want to make more.
D

thenonnielady 06-25-2011 03:05 PM

I am a major klutz. I tried out OBW with a yard or so. It was fun and easy. Don't worry, follow the directions and you will be okay. Have fun.

CactusFlower 06-25-2011 03:40 PM

It is really not hard...just follow the book one step at a time. Even I can do it.

CactusFlower 06-25-2011 03:40 PM

It is really not hard...just follow the book one step at a time. Even I can do it.

Matilda 06-25-2011 03:52 PM

I have made a bunch of those. They are so much fun!!

Evelyn 06-25-2011 05:05 PM

Instead of pins I make tailor tacks thru all layers with a contrasting color thread

donnalynett 06-25-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
I'm too scared to try it. I always admire then from afar,but I know I'm not there yet. They are so cool.

Same here. I have the fabric, the book, the pattern....but not the nerve.