Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OBW question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obw-question-t194394.html)

mom-6 07-12-2012 08:17 AM

OBW question

I've gotten my OBW all stitched together at last...it spent a couple of years as a UFO. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how I want to do the borders.

I guess I need to do fill-ins so the sides don't look like they bites out of them.

I looked at the quilts in the Kaleidoscope section and didn't really figure out how others did the fill-in. Some it just looked like they cut off the excess, but I'm wanting mine larger, not smaller.

Suggestions please!

Thanks in advance!

mom-6 07-12-2012 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Don't have a picture of it all together, but here it is on my design wall before assembly.

PaperPrincess 07-12-2012 08:41 AM

Love how it came out!!!
On the left and right, you can add 'half' hexes of your border fabric. Just cut 3 triangles (you might have to unsew the seams on the ones that 'stick out'. The top and bottom are more problematic (well, for me) I just cut off the excess and continued with the border fabric. If you do this, remember to leave the 1/4" past the seam.

mom-6 07-12-2012 08:49 AM

Thanks, PaperPrincess, I was thinking about doing the half hexes and then just doing little triangles of the dark blue inner border fabric at the top and bottom. I'm planning to use the original fabric for the back and the outer border.
Hope I have enough!
I have some strips left from my original stack of six layers, but they are more narrow so they would make smaller hexes. Thinking....thinking....

quiltstringz 07-12-2012 09:02 AM

So if you don't have enough triangles to make half hexagons for the sides, think about making a template for the half hexagon piece. You can then fussy cut a piece out of your original fabric making it go with the colors of the blocks it will be next to or you could also fill in with the dark blue inner border fabric that you are going to use for the top and bottom.

mom-6 07-12-2012 12:17 PM

Well I found some orphan triangles and a 'spare' hex that I separated into two half hexes. That worked for filling in the big spaces. Then when I started doing the dark blue triangles I didn't like how they looked so I think I will go with using the original fabric for those like quiltstringz suggested. Hope the dark blue will look better as just a strip between the main part of the quilt and the wider border of the original fabric than it did as triangles.

Don't want to have to get a different fabric for that. Too far and water over the roads still between here and anywhere to buy fabric. I was totally flooded in most of yesterday. Got out as far as the grocery store today. Had planned to get ink and cardstock too but got turned back about halfway there.

Well going to get back to those fill-in triangles.

leggz48 07-12-2012 12:48 PM

Love how your OBW looks. I have one on my design wall .....UFO for at least 4 years. Let us know how you finish it out. Can hardly wait to see the finished product.

dunster 07-12-2012 12:51 PM

You can take the half sticking out on the left and use it to fill in the holes on the right. For top and bottom I think I just whacked it off so it was even. It's so much trouble filling in those funny spaces. However, another option is to do a facing rather than a binding and let it be uneven. I love how your OBW turned out.

mom-6 07-12-2012 05:59 PM

Did the half hexes to fill in the big gaps and triangles of the same fabric to square up the other spots. Did leave the corners rounded. Have started adding the 2" (1-1/2" finished) dark blue border. And yes it looks ok as border, just didn't like it for the triangles. Not sure what width to do the outer border of the original fabric.

Kat2 07-14-2012 06:04 PM

I hve made a OBW. If you have the OBW Book, there are paper templates in the back to use to fill in the top, bottom and sides. Love the OBW, have about 3 more on the basket list.