Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OBW - will 1 of these Fabrics work?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obw-will-1-these-fabrics-work-t118029.html)

littleone 04-22-2011 01:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wanting to start another project so would like to try a OBW. From my stash are these two pieces of fabric. Not sure if either would work.
Pic #1 have 7 yd. If I am measuring correctly the repeat is 16.75 "
Pic # 2 have 3 yd 14" of. Repeat is 23.5 ".
Would either of these work? I understand that the second piece of fabric will not make any thing larger than maybe a wall hanging.
Your help and suggestions would be appreciated. Dar

Pic # 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]187629[/ATTACH]

Pic # 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]187630[/ATTACH]

emerald46 04-22-2011 02:51 PM

#2 would be the best. Number 1 is basically all the same.

littleone 04-22-2011 03:50 PM

Thank you. will go with # 2.

QuiltE 04-22-2011 04:26 PM

I'd also think #2 would be better.

However, you might want to get out two mirrors and check to see if you like the look of the designs it will give, and how the colour will show. I'd really suggest this, so you know you like it, and won't risk a disappointment.

dunster 04-22-2011 04:34 PM

Sorry, but you do not have 6 full repeats of #2. 23.5" * 6 = 141" = 3 yards 33".

You could still use it, but you would only get a few strips with all 6 repeats. Bummer.

There are ways to make it if you have repeats across the fabric, but it is more complicated and probably not worth the effort.

How about a 4-patch posie instead?

littleone 04-22-2011 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dunster
Sorry, but you do not have 6 full repeats of #2. 23.5" * 6 = 141" = 3 yards 33".

You could still use it, but you would only get a few strips with all 6 repeats. Bummer.

There are ways to make it if you have repeats across the fabric, but it is more complicated and probably not worth the effort.

How about a 4-patch posie instead?

Kind of thought that, thanks for pointing it out.

I am trying to use material from my stash. did another search. Came across this one that I had bought years ago. the Repeat is only 9" and I have 5 yards of it. I think the repeat is going to be too small. Going to go to Homedepot tomorrow and get me some mirrored tiles.

Ripped on Scotch 04-22-2011 07:07 PM

this new fabric would work I think. and it sounds like you have enough of it.

dunster 04-22-2011 07:18 PM

That new one is beautiful. I hope it works!

QuiltE 04-22-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
this new fabric would work I think. and it sounds like you have enough of it.

The fabric would be awesome!
Except ... with it only being 9" repeat, you may not see a lot of variations in your hexes.

Are you wanting a full sized quilt? or content with a wall hanging or lap quilt. If so, and wanting to use your stash, you could go with #2, and not fret that you don't have a full set of repeats. Just being aware that it'll be a little smaller.

For mirrors ... I found some mirrors at the $ $tore that were framed up with a narrow plastic. Made it nicer than having to deal with open glass edges. Tape them together with duct tape on their back sides and then you can leave them standing as you look at the fabric reflection.

dunster 04-22-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Are you wanting a full sized quilt? or content with a wall hanging or lap quilt. If so, and wanting to use your stash, you could go with #2, and not fret that you don't have a full set of repeats. Just being aware that it'll be a little smaller.

Using fabric #2, there would only be about 9.5" available with 6 repeats - that would make a really small quilt!