Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OCD quilting. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ocd-quilting-t230941.html)

Tiggersmom 09-26-2013 08:36 AM

JMHO: You are the one that has to be pleased! I could not personally live with a modern artsy quilt. I did try making one and it just wasn't "me". Fabric costs money and time is precious.......so I don't waste either, I do what I like, what will fit in my home, unless I'm creating something for someone else that has different tastes.

I can appreciate many of the non-traditional quilts at the quilt shows, but I sure couldn't live with them in my home.
There are no quilt police that are going to come into your home and judge what you have or are making.

Neesie 09-26-2013 09:10 AM

I don't really see that at OCD . . . unless you go around trying to change others' quilts! :p

I like symmetry . . . and also like asymmetry. It's all about the fabrics playing well together, for me. Sometimes they don't . . . and that really, really bothers me. :eek:

Jingle 09-26-2013 12:59 PM

This just shows how different we all are. Always make your quilts to please yourself and you will love them.

vwhit24 09-26-2013 01:43 PM

Balance///

Yes, yes, yes! I am not drawn to these unbalanced patterns used so much these days for quilts. they make me dizzy. Guess that means I am old fashioned....!

Sew Hooked 09-26-2013 03:56 PM

I wouldn't call it a problem, just a preference. The wonderful thing about quilting is whatever strikes YOUR fancy is good! I make scrappy quilts often; but they can only be scrappy to a point! There has to be SOME unifying factor for it to work with me; either a unifying color, or perhaps a center of a block that repeats in each block, or border colors that unify the scrappiness -- there HAS to be something!

Hang around, and after visiting many quilt exhibits, seeing the work of others, and reading quilt books and magazines, one day you'll find yourself stepping out of the box! I promise!

IBQUILTIN 09-26-2013 04:24 PM

We each have preferences, and it is fun now and then to step out of our comfort zone and try something a little different. Why not? You may find you enjoy it

ArchaicArcane 09-26-2013 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 6315215)
I don't really see that at OCD . . .

I agree. I expected to click on this thread seeing things about having to have things arranged just so, the machine and work area meticulously clean before starting, having all of the blocks laid out in order by color or size, and rows laid out exactly right so there was no chance of a twisted or misplaced block.

Uh... Not that I'd know anything about that.

Marysewfun 09-26-2013 06:21 PM

Hah - the talk of symmetrical and "the box" makes me think of DH and me in the kitchen - - For him all appliances have to be "square" to the counters and corners - - and I am an "angle" and "balance" person. :-)

Marysrewfun

butterflies5518 09-26-2013 06:47 PM

I am working on my first 'modern' quilt and it is taking time for me to get use to it. But after the first 2 rows matched up perfectly I am hooked! I am sure it is just coincidence but I think I like it.

Cybrarian 09-26-2013 07:14 PM

I think one of the most appealing things about this art we all create is the vast possibilities there are for each of us. Each of us unique- even if we are using a kit- because the combination of fabrics appeals to what we want to make it becomes "our" quilt. I'm not a kit, BOM, really scrappy or modern design person, but I really admire others work in these areas. So great to have so many choices. Another thing to love about this board, the eye candy I can enjoy of projects I wouldn't choose to work on myself, but I can enjoy the choices and creativity of all of you!