Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   odd shaped flying geese (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/odd-shaped-flying-geese-t283977.html)

wildyard 11-23-2016 03:21 PM

odd shaped flying geese

For a quilt pattern I want to make, I need flying geese type block to fit a space that is 6.5" x 4.5". Because the 4.5" is taller than half the 6.5", I am having a hard time figuring out how to cut the two pieces to make the block ends for the unit.
I'm sure it's not as difficult as I'm finding it but Fred is making it impossible for me. LOL I need the help of all you wonderful math genius members!!

PaperPrincess 11-23-2016 03:40 PM

Actually, it is as difficult as you are thinking!. You are going to wind up with a really weird angle that will be difficult to cut. I would paper piece these units.

cjsews 11-23-2016 03:50 PM

I was going to suggest paper piecing also. It would be quick and easy to make a FG

wildyard 11-23-2016 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 7705096)
I was going to suggest paper piecing also. It would be quick and easy to make a FG

OK, this is probably obvious to everyone but me, lol, but what is a FG? I have not done successful paper piecing, but will try it for this if that is what is needed. And thank you both for the suggestions.

LOL The only FG I can think of are field guide books for identifying any and everything out in the world! ;)

bearisgray 11-23-2016 04:18 PM

I think FG - in this case - is Flying Geese

bearisgray 11-23-2016 04:22 PM

I would make templates -

1) Draw the "finished" size on graph paper -

2) Cut the graph paper unit 5afinished size pieces apart - paste them on template plastic

3) Add 1/4 inch seam allowances to the pieces

4) Cut the template plastic on the cutting lines

dunster 11-23-2016 04:27 PM

A true FG is always twice as wide as it is tall (finished size).

wildyard 11-23-2016 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7705116)
I think FG - in this case - is Flying Geese

OMG.... is my face red... lolol.. of course. I thought it was referring to something to do with paper piecing. LOLOL I think Fred is really having a field day with me (without a field guide).

wildyard 11-23-2016 04:32 PM

bearisgray, I think you have the right idea. That is a concept I can wrap my head around easily and seems the way to go.
Thank you for ALL your help!!

Maureen NJ 11-23-2016 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard (Post 7705076)
For a quilt pattern I want to make, I need flying geese type block to fit a space that is 6.5" x 4.5". Because the 4.5" is taller than half the 6.5", I am having a hard time figuring out how to cut the two pieces to make the block ends for the unit.
I'm sure it's not as difficult as I'm finding it but Fred is making it impossible for me. LOL I need the help of all you wonderful math genius members!!

Just a thought. Are you sure you didn't misinterpret the pattern and that the 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" doesn't include the sem allowance and therefore the FG would end up 4 x 6".